1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

another extended warranty question (should I and can I?)

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cutter44, Apr 30, 2015.

1. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I know, I know. I've read through most of the threads here about extended warranties, and I'm generally disinclined to get one. But this is my first time owning a hybrid, so I have to ask.

First of all this whole conversation may be moot, depending on the answer to the first question, which is "Can I get an Toyota extended warranty?". I bought this 2012 C used (from a Subaru dealer who took it in trade toward a new Subaru). It has a clean Carfax which I've seen. It's in great shape and it had 34,035 miles on it when I brought it home. It now has about 34,430 miles, so I guess I'm officially still under the original 3 yr/36k mile warranty. I haven't called a Toyota dealer yet to ask, but if I'm reading the info on the Toyota site correctly, I can't even get a Toyota extended warranty unless I bought the car from a Toyota dealer and bought the extended warranty when I bought the car. Could that be true? If that's the case, then that's that. I'm not spending any money for an aftermarket warranty.

I can call a dealer and ask, but I figured you all probably know as much as they do. Let's get this part figured out before I go into the whole "should I get one" part of the question. :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't forget your 5/60 and 10/150 warranties as well.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it was new I'd say forget it, but used is less certain. As per bisco, check to see if the orig purchase and ownership was in MA or other CARB state, if so you have 10 yr 150k coverage on major hybrid stuff.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not correct that the warranty has to be bought at time of purchase, but I am unclear if used cars are eligible.

Since the warranty is transferable I don't see why it would matter ... but call TFS for a definitive answer.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There must be other companies offering extended warranties as well that you could look into.

6. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I know original purchase and ownership was in MA. If that original hybrid warranty (and powertrain and rust, etc) follows the vehicle rather than the owner, I think I'm comfortable taking my chances. As others have suggested, I could always just put that warranty money aside in a separate account and "self-insure".

I also know I don't have to get the warranty when I buy the car, but I do believe that only Toyota CPO vehicles may be eligible for the extended warranty after the fact. If that's the case, I'm out of luck anyway.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup the CARB warranty follows the vehicle not the owner.
    Toyota has some special rules about which states owned etc. but sounds like your case is a slam dunk.
    I don't know if you could call and have them confirm, for you based on VIN...should be able to.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A Toyota dealer will be happy to sell you a warranty as long as the car is within the 3/36. The 2012 model year started in 2011. The clock starts running on the date of the original sale.

9. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The Carfax is showing the original purchase date as 3/28/13, and I just turned over 35k miles this morning, so I'm okay for a (very) little while longer. I emailed a dealer for info about purchasing an extended warranty on Tuesday and have heard nothing back. Guess I should probably call a couple dealers. Then again, the more I think about it, I may just take the suggestion of putting that money aside and "self-insuring". After all, the hybrid stuff is supposedly warranted for 150k miles here in MA. If I could get some kind of bumper-to-bumper for 150k miles for under $1000 I might give it serious thought. Otherwise, I'm inclined to take my chances.

10. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just a follow-up.
    I contacted Troy (at Greenfield Toyota) through the link in an earlier thread here. He was very helpful, and since it is a used vehicle and a 4 with the fancier radio/GPS, moonroof, etc, and I put on a fair amount of miles annually, I figured I'd bite the bullet and go for it. No problem since I was still just under the 36k miles, so I went for the 5 yr/100k miles for $815. Between my trade-in and the price of the C when I bought it, I got a better deal than I expected, so it's reasonable enough peace of mind for me.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best.(y)