1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another "Goodbye Prius" thread...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kross, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Kross

Kross New Member

Well, I have decided to trade in the Prius... for more reason than one (some of which I have seen mentioned as "gripes" in several other threads), but for the most part reasons that might not be that big of a deal to many here.

I miss real leather seats with the heated or ventilated options. The memory options that automatically move the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel to the driver's pre-set preference. The multiple climate zones (effective ones at that) where my fiance who loves warmth can have her 72degrees and I can sit comfy in my 68.

I could go on and on, but you all know the gist of what I am trying to say.

I will say this though, I will miss the fuel savings, the fact that I only had to fill up twice a month and even that on regular, not premium or such.

Anyway, enough reminiscing...just wanted to say that you all have been an invaluable resource for me in the past 10 or so months of my Prius ownership. I have enjoyed reading the info on here and learned a lot from all of you. I can only hope that I can find such a great message board for my next vehicle.

Although not today or tomorrow, I will be trading in the Prius relatively soon. I am probably going for a Jaguar S-type. I drove a VDP edition the other day and it was superb.

I do have one question though...Is there a "Master Reset" button of sorts for my Prius that will clean out all my saved info (phone book, navigation memory points, etc. etc.) in one go?

And secondly, to reset/clean out the Homelink buttons on my rear-view mirror, all I have to do is hold them in for a while and let the light blink three times on each button to reset it...right?

Thanks again guys!

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For the GPS there is a master reset button somewhere under options. I'm sure you can reset the homelink to but I don't know how. I'm sure both are described in the manual.

I'm a little surprised you picked a ford. I don't think the Jaguar keeps up with competition form Lexus, BMW and Mercedes but I haven't looked at prices. To me jaguar lost it's cool when Ford took over. I would rather buy the similar Cadiliac (CTZ?).

Have you considered the hybrids from Lexus? I was close to buying the RX400h. It's a cool car with all the amenities you're looking for and still with reasonable mileage.

3. Kross

Kross New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Feb 15 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]390801[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the answer to my reset question!

Actually, picking the Jaguar S-Type (VDP edition) was more of a personal choice coupled with a heck of a deal. Honestly, you'd have to test drive an '06 or even an '05 to see how much they have improved since they were supposedly in the pits in the '00s and the '01s.

The comparative Cadillac is the STS, but I just wasn't as impressed with it's ride compared to that of the S-Type that I test-drove (and will be buying).

As far as it being owned by Ford...that doesn't phase me one bit. My fiance drove in a '03 Volvo S60 for years. Volvo's owned by Ford as well (as is Aston Martin for that matter). We loved that vehicle. Her entire family is completely loyal to Ford. Her dad owns a construction company, and all they have is Ford trucks. Her sister has a Mustang, while her mother drives in a new Taurus.

To be honest, the stereotype of American cars being inferior to Foreign cars, to me, seems biased; there are bad apples in every lot.

But coming back to the point. I just feel like the elegance and smooth authoritative ride of the particular S-type I drove and am buying, could not be matched by the STS (which I also test drove) or the BMW 3-series (which I have driven in the past). Added to which the fact that I am getting the Jag (with under 17,000miles) for under $27K...well, I just couldn't say no.

4. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm glad that the s-type has improved. I tested one in maybe 02-03 (?) and it felt cheap. More like a re-badged ford then a near-luxury car.

I have nothing against Ford, I actually like their cars and my wife drives a Ford Focus that has causes little problems. For me it was just that Ford seemed to cheapen the Jaguar brand, something they didn't do (much) for the Volvo's. In general Ford has done much better then GM with car brands they own. I thought the Jaguar was the exception but it seems like the have straightened it out. Compare GM's SAAB abd Ford's Volvo. They used to be similar cars, with SAAB's being the quirky one and Volvo the boring one. Ford made Volvo's image improve, it's now safe and (slightly) fun, while SAAB is just a re-badged Subaru or GM SUV (and an againg 9-5). The only decent car is the 9-3 and it's aging as well.

I haven't personally tried the STS, but I have a friend who drives an old one and had lot of engine trouble so I think you're making a good choice.

You're taking a step up in price for sure! I hope you enjoy the ride and try to not use too much gas.

5. Kross

Kross New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Feb 15 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]390826[/snapback]</div>
    :( You're absolutely right. I used to have an '02 Saab 9-5 before the Prius...I LOVED it. I was waiting for the '06 9-5 to come out and was going to upgrade to it. BUT when it did, I wish it hadn't. Not only did they take away everything that was "Saab" they used every single interior feature from their G6 sedans...IN A SAAB!!!

9-3 was the only "Saab" model left in their lineup. Now, they have cheapened the interior on that as well...rendering every single car in the Saab line pretty much useless; they are now just expensive copies of GM's generic mainstream vehicles.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kross @ Feb 15 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]390838[/snapback]</div>

I wouldn't go that far... their engines are still heads and shoulders above anything you'd find in a typical mainstream GM vehicle, and even any Toyota vehicle.. The low pressure turbo offered on the base 9-3 is a jewel, IMO.

7. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Feb 15 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]390840[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, I loved the low rpm 4 cylinder cars in the SAABs. It's a gem too drive (don't know how reliable they are). Fuel efficient and peppy. I'm surprised the prius doesn't have one (yet).

The problem was SAAB and Volvo where that they where running on aging fleet's while independent and lacking the money to develop a new generation car. They needed money to survive. Without GM we probably wouldn't have any SAABs today. I just wish Ford had bought SAAB instead (looking at it in hindsight). I've always been a SAAB man.

My hope now is that they will badge the GM VOLT as a SAAB car. That would be the perfect quirky environmental conscious car for a SAAB revival. It's shame that neither SAAB nor VOLVO has a hybrid car on the market. Imagine a Volvo V50 or V70 hybrid! A perfect car! Same can said for SAAB 9-3 and 9-5 Wagons.

The reason I care so much is that I'm from Sweden and where raised on these car brands! Until they come up with a hybrid or similar I think I will continue to pass on them

/Robert

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Feb 15 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]390860[/snapback]</div>
    Having grown up driving SAABs, I understand your love for the brand. :)

However, the Ecotec based LPT currently offered in the 9-3 is the best engine I've ever driven in a SAAB. I remember the neck snapping turbo lag from older SAABs (I'm pointing at an older, '84 900 that I had a lot of experience with). This engine ranks above the 1.8T that was so common in the VW/Audi lineup for years.. it's just that good.

And I believe the 9-3 pulls in over 30mpg on the highway... and given the way they've geared the transmissions (definitely not for economy, I assure you of that), that's pretty amazing.

9. Kross

Kross New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Feb 15 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]390840[/snapback]</div>
    I was referring to their interior looks specifically, but I know what you mean about the 9-3 being a heck of a car.

Actually, I had read a few months ago about a 9-3 hybrid in the works.

10. Kross

Kross New Member

Well, for those who might need to know this for any reason in the future, the process of resetting your saved info on your Prius is as follows:

-- Navi: Hit the "Menu" hard button, go into "My Places" and hit "Delete All" for the saved memory points, and recent selections. The car will double-dare you before you delete it to make sure you want to delete everything. You can also delete the "Recent/Previous Destinations"

-- Phone: Hit the "Info" hard button, go into Phonebook, at the screen where it tells you how many slots you have free in your contacts list and your speed dial (along with "Register, Edit, Delete"), there are buttons (just like Navi) for delete all.

-- Homelink (Garage door opener): Turn on car, hold Homelink button 1 (one on the very left) and button 3 (one on very right) in at the same time for 20 seconds. After 20 seconds the light will start flashing slowly. ALL your homelink buttons have now been reset.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kross @ Feb 15 2007, 05:28 AM) [snapback]390771[/snapback]</div>
    Oh well, I guess I can understand some people wanting features that just aren't present in the Prius or other cars of its class.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but good luck w/the Jag. Their reliability is pretty poor and every model year that Consumer Reports has reliability data for the S-Type (00 thru 05) shows it has far below average in reliability. I'd be be curious to see how it holds up a year or two from now. Please do report on this.

12. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kross @ Feb 15 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]390813[/snapback]</div>
    I have a friend that HAD a JAG and it was always being repaired for one thing or another.
    There is a reason you are getting the car so cheap. I hope you are luckier than my friend.

Buy the extended warranty if ford has one, it will save you a ton of money in the end.

Thanks for being part of PC

13. Kross

Kross New Member

Picked it up last evening, drove it home, 350miles purring like a kitten.

If it has to be repaired for some reason within the next 30,000+miles, it's covered, in addition to the scheduled maintenance.

I do plan on purchasing extended warranty through Jaguar...might just get it certified and extend. Guess I'll see which route is better when the time comes.

And no problem :) I loved these forums and it was a pleasure bieng a part of them.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kross @ Feb 15 2007, 08:28 AM) [snapback]390771[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder how much it would raise the price if they added these to the Prius? And I'm wondering how this would effect sales. Would you gain more people because of the luxury options (My parents would want all of these) or would you lose more people because the cost is higher?

15. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

I have a package 5 prius, and even though it is loaded, it is really a base car. I wish the car had heated seats, multi-power adjustments, an aerodynamic sunroof(it would affect the CD, but it would be the consumers choice), more colors, a black interior option or the amaretto color,better quality carpeting in the car rather than the industrial looking and please do something with the steering wheel! im 6'1 and its like driving a go-kart. Other than that, this car is amazing, and im in love with it. I bought it so i could feel less guilty about my 06 LR3 V8 HSE and ive had it for 2 months and have 6350 miles on it.

About your jaguar, you should be impressed with it, but as with all british cars there are the occasional faulty lights on the dashboard that are lying, and maintnence issues but my land rover has been extremely reliable for the passed 25,000 miles. My friend's 06 jaguar xj's door handle ripped off when she went to open the door? so there may be some quality issues out and about but you'll love the car. I love my rove! haha.

16. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My Prius is the first car I ever owned with electronic mirror controlers, cruise control, and power windows, so I can't relate to this thread at all.

17. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my first car.. period.. and loving it.

18. Jmad1138

Jmad1138 New Member

You'll be back.

19. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kross @ Feb 15 2007, 05:28 AM) [snapback]390771[/snapback]</div>
    You're giving the readers of this forum way too much credit with that last statement.

The Prius is not a luxury car, and even with better seats, it would still be far from a luxury car.

A three hour freeway drive in my Prius wears me out and makes me not want to drive any more that day. After driving three hours on the same freeways in my Acura MDX, I feel like I've only been behind the wheel a half hour. It is so much quieter, the seats are so much better, and the ride so much smoother that I could easily drive eight hours straight if I had to. No way would I do that in the Prius. I'm willing to tolerate it for a few hours at a time to use less gasoline though.