1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Hauling Story

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by DaveinOlyWA, May 5, 2007.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    according to The Onmivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, (HIGHLY recommended read!!) managed grasslands sequester much more CO2 than any other entity including rain forests. granted rain forests have more Carbon, but the amount is static. grasslands however constantly cycle the CO2. many will argue that cattle eventually recycle the CO2 so the net effect is zero... not true. and you cannot deny the fact that most of the CO2 is taken out of the air AND only a percentage goes back to the air eventually. some gets sequestered back into the soil.

sooo in an environmental effort along with the health aspects, we have gone to completely grass-fed beef. it is healthier and completely eliminates Mad Cow possibilities and greatly reduces e Coli. it is more expensive, but so is everything else that creates change.

so what does 220 lbs of beef look like??

if anyone is interested in this option and lives in Western WA, pm me. i will give you details. now because this is a small independent farmer (not a big comglomeration) his supply is limited, he is butchering now and will have nothing left until next spring so most likely, you would be putting in an order for next year. for the adventurous, search for Colvin Farms in Thurston County, WA

Attached Files:

2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 5 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]436046[/snapback]</div>
    Wish I lived in WA. now looks like good eats!!!
    that's great

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just did a search and apparently searching by the farm name is not gonna work easily, listed as results on 4th page in google. so a better choice would be www.eatwild.com this is better because it allows you to search for a source nearest you.

4. chogan

chogan New Member

I'm with you on this. I hadn't known the carbon sequestration argument, but it's clear that in well-watered and warm climates (like Virginia) grassfed requires vastly less fossil-fuel input than regular grain-fed beef. So I figured the main savings were from avoidance of grain-fed. (Although there is another piece to this -- methane -- that I never have fully worked through). While fully acknowledging that if you really want healthy and good for the planet, a vegan diet beats anything, if you're going to eat beef, this is the way to do it. Plus, once you've had good grass-fed, grain fed beef just tastes bland. And one more -- do you realize most MILK is now grainfed, I think the figure is 80%. So if your image of dairy farms is Bossy and her pals out in the fields chewing the cud, think again -- the typical gallon comes from yet another factory-farm setup.

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I try to buy as much grass-fed beef (also lamb) as possible. We have local producers in Rhode Island as well, and this seems to be a trend that is happening throughout the country. Locally-produced food is always best, of course, but I am seeing grass-fed beef and buffalo from out-of-state producers in the supermarket.
    I'm reading Pollan's book now also )just started).