1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

another hybrid battery problem

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by bennie49, Jul 19, 2011.

1. bennie49

bennie49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2001 Prius w/158,000 miles. Had some bad news about my hybrid battery the other day. The codes from the computer indicated a temp problem in the battery and Toyota wants $450. to diagnose. Because of the age and mileage: Is this worth it? Has anyone ever replaced a faulty cell and what were the costs? Does this mean other cells are just waiting for their time to crash and it's a waste of $$ to partially replace? Has anyone ever gound a mechanic that would be willing & able to fix the battery? I'm certainly not prepared to buy another Prius, even if I could find one I could afford. Any advice appreciated

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is a whole 'nuther world for me. i have never kept a car that long, much less a hybrid. i suppose you could think of it as a new tranny or something. not too unusual on a ten year old car with 160,000. :)

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Many of us are of the Do it yourself variety, consequently we always doubt a good portion of what the stealerships say. Many times problems are related to more simpler systems, the 12V battery is a big offender, inverter circulation is another as well as HV overheat. It would help if you could give us the codes and sub-codes from the dealer and then many of our more sophisticated technicians will chime in, in short order. Amazingly many problems are resolved thru mere conversation and wonderful support.

4. bennie49

bennie49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I will get the codes on the next business day; thanks

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could be a clogged fan.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not clear on what the dealership would be charging you $450.00? That seems like an excessive charge for diagnosis. IMO diagnosis cost shouldn't be tied to age and mileage. In other words it shouldn't cost "more" to diagnosis a problem whether the vehicle has 150 miles and is a month old, or whether it is had 150,000+ and is 11 years old.

The fact they have the code that indicates it is tied to a tempature problem with the battery gives any technician a significant head start on diagnosis. Just seems to me $450.00 before even applying a solution seems excessive.

Hopefully with the codes some of the brilliant people of Prius Chat can help you narrow the diagnostic possibilities.

You're behind the 8 ball, when it costs $450 just to find out what it REALLY is going to cost you.

Sounds like a tough situation...good luck with your outcome. I might just casually start investigating other repair center options....maybe a respected independent shop, or another dealership...just because I thinking charging you $450 for diagnostics, with a computer system that should be telling them almost instantly what the problem is...seems excessive.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. bennie49

bennie49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am getting another opinion tomorrw at the other local dealership. I called the original service rep this morning and asked for the codes; his msg said I had multiple codes all in the P3000 range; also had a misfire code of P0300. This dealership is definitely crooked; I knew that going in and the kicker was when he told me I couldn't recycle the car but I COULD give the dead car to the master mechanic and he could fix it and sell it on down the line. I will return tomorrow with the exact codes and hopefully some other info. Also, I had added some fuel cleaner between the first and second episode of warning lights. Don't know if this is part of the puzzle.

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  9. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Recycle the car? I'll pay you some money for the car and take the risk myself. Why the hell would you ever help a stealership. PM me with some pics and facts. I'll take it off your hands with less hassle. Thanks.

10. bennie49

bennie49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The 2nd dealership diagnosed hybrid battery cells #5 & #11 well below others and recommended replacement for $3000. The codes are P3006 and P3000; also a "random misfire" P0300. At this point, I'm at a loss as to a decision. The battery is only the first issue; then there is a potential black hole with the misfire code. I've had Toyota trucks for 40 yrs and am their #1 fan. But this is a whole new arena and I'm not sure what the best decision is. Any advice is appreciated. An independent mechanic in Petaluma would be about the same price; Sielerts mentioned someone in Healdsburg. Anyone have experience with them? Or a phone #.

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Take a look at the ebay web page that I linked. It appears to be a professional operation on par with ReInvolt. He has 100% feedback. His contact info is on the page:

Call Ted 707 694-4092 or e-mail [email protected]

I strongly encourage you NOT to spend $3000+ on a new battery.

1 person likes this.
  12. bennie49

bennie49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Does anyone have any experience wih a refurbished/re-engineered hybrid battery. A mechanic in Sonoma County will put one in for $1900. Said they have same warranty as a new battery from Toyota, 12 mo/12,000. And thank you all for all your help

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I installed a refurbished HV battery a few months ago that came from ReInVolt. Total cost was under $2000 and its working fine. As long as the refurbisher knows what he is doing, your results should be good.

JeffD

14. bennie49

bennie49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

I've chatted with TedB. Do you have any opinion/experience with his batteries vs the re-manufactured ReInvolt-type? Would love some feedback on this question

15. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I haven't got anything other than a good vibe from seeing his setup in pictures and the 100% ebay feedback. In either his or the ReInvolt case, I believe that they pull good working modules from Gen II salvage and recondition them. I doubt that there is a major difference between either process. The same process has been used on Honda batteries with good results. But, after talking to the guy, if you do not have a good feeling, then ReInvolt is the next best option.

16. guggenheim

guggenheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious to know what you decided and what your experience has been like.

I'm seeking an HV battery replacement for my 2002 Prius, 120,000 miles. I'm debating between replacing it or cutting my losses and getting a new car! Any thoughts on what you decided to do would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Ben

17. Rob Hutchins

Rob Hutchins New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the fan issue

Spaysship24 likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i pm'ed bennie 49. that's exactly what it was, and it's been trouble free for the last 6 years. well past 200,000 miles!

Rob Hutchins and Spaysship24 like this.
  19. Spaysship24

Spaysship24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why do people insist on resurrecting 5 year old threads?