1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Integrated Sirius question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by xxfwmxx, Aug 16, 2006.

1. xxfwmxx

xxfwmxx New Member

I am normally a lurker here and have learned a lot for you guys and gals. I have Sirius in my other cars and really really would like it in my Prius. Whenever I ask my dealership about it they seem to know nothing at all. I have checked out Jons kit before and almost purchased it. I would really like a unit that is fully intgrated with my car. I have heard rumors before that Toyota has one in the works but I heard that it would be out in July and since then I have heard nothing more. Does anyone know anything more about this? Release date possibly? I dont see why they cant get one out quicker if they already have then for other models and I am sure they know by now that the Solar unit works. I have a 2006 package 7 with the premium JBL system. I am going to be upgrading my read speakers pretty soon with the Infinity 6010cs component speaker set and would really like to get sirius as soon as possible. Right now I have it really rigged where my Verizon xv6700 pda phone is running SiriCE streaming Sirius and I have a cable running from my phone into my AUX in jack, this is by far not the best way to listen to the radio because I cant change channels as easy, artist/song info isnt shown at all, and when a call comes in my radio is stopped. ok sorry for the rant but if anyone has any input on when the new Sirius unit will be out or a better option for my speaker upgrade any comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xxfwmxx @ Aug 16 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]304293[/snapback]</div>
    I thought that statement was interesting... If you have bluetooth handsfree on that PDA and have it so that your car pairs with your phone, the incoming call will mute the radio regardless. Of course, you don't HAVE to pair it with your Prius, and your incoming call wouldn't stop the radio.

I can't comment on the release date, except that I just got motivated enough to order the parts and do the install myself (possibly with the help of the SiriusPrius DVD)

EDIT/UPDATE

The Toyota OEM parts place I posted about before actually marked up the prices when they received my order this morning... They claimed I was ordering 'accessories'. Upon priceshopping, some part depts told me that Toyota raised prices for these parts recently (bastards) Needless to say, I cancelled the order, because I found them cheaper elsewhere.

I ordered the parts from another online store using the TradeMotion system (this time from 'Joe Myers Toyota Parts', in TX) They assured me they wouldn't mark it up more, and they confirmed the order earlier this morning for $239.20 + $14.35 shipping = $253.55. If I still buy the Sirius Prius DVD and the Best Buy antenna, it comes out to be ~$339 shipped, which is still ~$55 cheaper (minus shipping) than the price at Factory Interactive. Keep in mind I live in NH (no tax), so YMMV.

3. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luiset83 @ Aug 17 2006, 12:37 AM) [snapback]304502[/snapback]</div>
    Is that really any cheaper than just buying the SiriusPrius kit?

4. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 17 2006, 09:08 AM) [snapback]304595[/snapback]</div>
    At least for me it is! See edited/updated post above.

5. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luiset83 @ Aug 17 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]304724[/snapback]</div>
    Damned NH with no taxes. Well up north in Maine we got plenty of them. :rolleyes:

I bought everything from MetroTPN.com
    $165 for the receiver and $85 for the fit kit.
    And while I was there I got some mud flaps for $43.
    Shipping for everything was something like 8 bucks - the whole shooting match was $300.

Had to force myself to stop at that point (they have the Exact Mats and side molding for less than the PC shop as well).

Speaking of antennas - I saw the Terk one on the Best Buy site - it is a couple bucks more - but I wonder if it is smaller. May have to actually enter a bricks and mortar store to look at the 2 of them.

(What's ymmv?)

6. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xxfwmxx @ Aug 16 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]304293[/snapback]</div>

The currently available OEM product is not compatible with '06 Priuses. I called Toyota about this just within the past couple of days, and their response as to when it will be available was basically "when we get it working correctly."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 17 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]304849[/snapback]</div>
    Your Mileage May Vary

7. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 17 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]304849[/snapback]</div>
    Not bad for the cheap shipping :)

I saw that antenna too, my guess is that it's not smaller, considering it's marketed as a 'low profile' while the one used by the SiriusPrius and recommended here is labeled as 'ultra low profile' I had been pondering on a sharkfin... wondering if I could indeed hide the Sirius antenna with it and still retain a decent performance from both. Figures I got excited about my car again almost 3 years after I got it, haha.

8. dbotello

dbotello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought the system from factory interactive and am extremely happy with it.
    Once again, the only downside at all is the 10 character limitation, but I really don't look at it while I am driving. I really like the integration.

9. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luiset83 @ Aug 17 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]304937[/snapback]</div>
    I have a sharkfin with my Sirius antenna hiding under it. The reception for the radio is slightly worse than the factory antenna, but only when I'm way out in the boonies. In civilization, the reception is fine. The Sirius reception is as good as it has always been.

10. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Aug 18 2006, 07:39 AM) [snapback]305234[/snapback]</div>
    Good to know :) Is this the Sirius antenna you have? I've bought neither the antenna nor sharkfin yet, so if it works, I'll buy both.

11. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luiset83 @ Aug 18 2006, 09:47 AM) [snapback]305279[/snapback]</div>
    No. I have the older one that isn't ultra low profile. I did look at that one a couple months ago. It's not much bigger than the one I have. I'm fairly certain the ultra low profile one will fit under the sharkfin. The reception shouldn't be any different either.

12. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Aug 18 2006, 08:34 AM) [snapback]305325[/snapback]</div>
    Next question then is...how difficult is it to remove the sharkfin to put the Sirius ultra-low profile underneath? Sharkfin seems to have been much easier to put on than to take off... :(

13. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 18 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]305352[/snapback]</div>
    Just work some string or monofiliment fishing line between the fin and the roof - slowly pull it thru and it's done.

14. xxfwmxx

xxfwmxx New Member

So getting back to the original question does anyone know anything about an official Sirius unit for the Prius coming from Toyota?

15. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xxfwmxx @ Aug 20 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]306211[/snapback]</div>

Like I posted above. I called Toyota, spoke to people in multiple departments, and no one can (or will) say when it'll be available (as far as an '06 compatible model).

16. xxfwmxx

xxfwmxx New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 20 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]306216[/snapback]</div>

Thanks ScottR I must have missed your post. I guess I will just keep waiting or maybe just go ahead and get Jon's Kit once I get the money up for it.

17. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 17 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]304856[/snapback]</div>
    I have an 06 with Sirius that is intigrated in to the MFD. It works with the steering wheel controls. Works fine. My only problem is the 10 charicter display limitation.

I got it at Metro Toyota Check the sticky post to fix the static issue.

18. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 17 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]304856[/snapback]</div>
    You're wrong (and so is whoever you called). Lots of people have the integrated Sirius tuner working with an '06. All you need is the static fix.

19. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 20 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]306429[/snapback]</div>

I called a four different Toyota dealers, and Toyota itself, and they all said the same thing: it's not officially supported, and don't complain if it doesn't work; the dealers said they were told to stop installing them in the '06 Prius. One tech rep read to me from the bulletin he received from Toyota.

I emailed Metro Toyota (mentioned in this thread as a supplier) and their reply was:

I put a note in my site because 2006 Prius' have different software in the navigation/multi display and it is not working with the SIRIUS setup as well as the previous 2 years. The kit I sell is for a Solara and works well in the Prius since Toyota has not made a kit specifically for it. Before you purchase the unit I would refer you to Priuschat.com to read up on some of the discussions related to this issue. Some people say they have had no issues; others cannot make it work right at all. There have been recent postings that talk about a "fix" for the sound problem. I will leave it up to you whether or not you wish to make the purchase. I just want for my customers to be informed before they make a purchase. I use this email as a disclaimer, so if you choose to proceed with the purchase then all sales are final. There MAY be a Sirius kit available specifically for the Prius available from Toyota in the near future, but at what point I cannot say.
    If there is any question about whether or not to purchase than please err on the side of caution.

If something is a roll of the dice, I consider that to be not properly compatible. Metro's position hardly stands behind it.

20. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    For anyone that's going to be getting the SiriusPrius kit:

I ordered the installation DVD from them and it came with a coupon code for $30 off the full kit -- DVD30DISCOUNT