1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another interesting bacteria

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Apr 7, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Unique genetic cassettes in a Thermoanaerobacterium contribute to simultaneous conversion of cellulose and monosugars into butanol | Science Advances

Unique genetic cassettes in a Thermoanaerobacterium contribute to simultaneous conversion of cellulose and monosugars into butanol
    Tinggang Li1, Chen Zhang1, Kun-Lin Yang2 and Jianzhong He1,*

Biofuels produced from renewable lignocellulosic biomass are expected to meet growing energy demands without increasing greenhouse gas emissions as fossil fuels (1, 2). Among all biofuels, butanol is one of the most promising biofuels because of its high energy density (29.2 MJ/liter for butanol versus 19.6 MJ/liter for ethanol and 32 MJ/liter for gasoline) and is more similar to gasoline (3, 4). As a natural reservoir for biomass-based carbon and the most abundant biomass on Earth (5), cellulose has become a major feedstock for butanol production in biorefinery processes. Currently, bioconversion of cellulose to biofuels in industries requires several steps including pretreatment, enzymatic saccharification, detoxification, and fermentation (68). Therefore, it is desirable to develop a bioconversion technology for the direct conversion of cellulosic biomass into biofuels without entailing any of the pretreatment steps mentioned above (9). However, this effort has been hampered by recalcitrance of cellulose and the lack of potent microbes. A key step to address the issue is to discover novel microorganisms having unique genetic cassettes to convert cellulosic materials into biofuels (10, 11). As reported previously, a number of solventogenic strains from the genus Clostridium have been exploited to generate butanol from monosaccharides (for example, glucose and xylose) and starch (for example, corn and cassava). However, these strains cannot use polysaccharides, such as cellulose, for butanol generation; they can do so only for ethanol or hydrogen generation (12). Recent research attempts have been directed toward engineering microorganisms that can directly convert cellulose into biofuels in consolidated bioprocesses (9, 13, 14). For example, genes encoding for biosynthetic pathways of biofuels have been engineered into natural cellulolytic microorganisms such as Caldicellulosiruptor bescii, Clostridium cellulolyticum, and Clostridium thermocellum, which were capable of producing ethanol [0.64 g/liter (15) and 22.4 g/liter (16)] and isobutanol [0.66 g/liter (17) and 5.4 g/liter (18)] from cellulose. Similar attempts on Clostridium acetobutylicum have also been made by introducing cellulosome genes; however, the engineered strain was unable to use cellulose because of the complex assembly and the expressional stability of functional minicellulosomes (19).

It needs independent collaboration but this is WOW. Would you know the authors, @tochatihu ?

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I do not know them. National University of Singapore is a hot number at least regionally.

I am not familiar enough with bioenergy literature to know if this is a startling advance. It does sound that way. Science Advances is where you go if you don't quite make the cut in Science. Silver medal, one might say.

Quick look at the article indicates a tiny bit of sleight-of-hand that a (very) few care about. In general terms they refer to lignocellulose which is fancy name for wood. However all of their work is done with cellulose; lignin having been removed in one way or another. It is not trivial for microbial enzymes to get past lignin to yummy cellulose underneath (but still within) cell walls. Whether 'doing' bioenergy in a flask, or in a forest decaying wood.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Li et al. fed bacteria with cellulose or xylan. Latter is similar to cellulose but with a couple of decorations that are not sugar. Cellulose by the way is a pure sugar polymer that humans among others lack enzymes to break down.

Heard of dietary fiber? That stuff you're supposed to eat several grams of per day? Cellulose and xylan. After conferring health benefits on you (those I cannot actually explain), it's out the back door.

It would not be a good thing to have Li et al.'s bacteria making butanol in your guts. Nor would it be likely. Butanol is somewhat toxic.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ah, the lignin puzzle again.

Bob Wilson

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    You know how enzymes work. In general they fit exactly on a target molecule, bend it a little bit, and lower the energy of activation for some reaction. Like catalysis.

This works of the target molecule has a consistent structure. Cellulose does, along with many other polymers. Lignin does not. It is a jumble.

Enzymes able to break lignin do so indirectly. They produce a free radical or other highly oxidizing chemical that just float away. If it happens to hit lignin it reacts. The deed is done with no 'lock and key' matchup.

Clumsy? sure but no alternative exists in biology. Dangerous? Free radicals etc. are tiny bombs. All are produced (in lignolysis) external to (fungal) cells. Inside would be suicidal.

I've not thought of this as a puzzle. Puzzle pieces fit together.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Most plant cell walls are one layer, cellulose; flimsy and permeable. To haul water through long tubes this is not good enough. You need a triple layer cell wall with lignin in each. Thus you can make a tree.

Many plant cell walls are easy work for microbial enzymes. Although there are many cellulytic enzymes, each hitting just one type of connection. Triple layer lignin walls need heavy machinery.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I read about the Kraft process which certainly qualifies as heavy equipment. I went looking for lignin spectral analysis only to find the samples were derived from Kraft by products. Yet curiously termite guts seem to be effective unless the critter are defecating lignin.

Look at the other end, formation of lignin:
    https://brcwebportal.cos.ncsu.edu/lignin/Lignin

If I understand what they are describing, the cells expel:

Ligninis typically polymerized from three phenylpropanoid monomers (see Figure), 4-coumaryl, coniferyl, and sinapyl alcohols, also known as the H, G and S monolignols.

Into the intercellular spaces, monomers are added to this soup, "The biosynthesis of lignin occurs primarily through the addition of a monomer to a polymer." stitch these into lignin in the intercellular spaces with the body of the cells serving as the framing or mold. This goes a long way to explaining the somewhat confusing mix in lignin. It reads like the ultimate epoxy and irreversible by ordinary means.

In a gravity field, the formation of lignin tubes would be fairly simple. But this begs the question, what happens to bamboo grown in in orbit? Is gravity required for lignin tube formation?

Bob Wilson

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Lignin is unusual both in construction and deconstruction.

Some termites (by way of gut microbes) undo a bit of lignin. More often, termite poops 'away from home' are almost pure lignin in that everything else has already gone down to CO2.

"Into the intercellular spaces". Emphatically, exo extra outside. It is perhaps odd that plants externally make liggy cell-wall ornaments with a class of 'what the heck?' enzymes. That very similar enzymes later found their way into fungi, and then lignin-wood became decomposable and the age of massive coal deposition was much diminished.

Much effort has been expended to make all that seem not so odd. But I think it is odd, and plants once took a shot at opposing gravity. Only one ping, Vasili :)

==
    Now we have earth's 'third forest' (as I am fond of saying) moving 10 petagrams atmos. C into wood. By coincidence this ~equals old-C burning for energy.

==
    Innovations such as presented here may present new ways to use 'last year's wood' for human energy transduction. I am not much of a fan. Dead wood entering its 1 to 100 year endgame does biodiversity very well, especially in terms of microbial 'I hate everyone not like me and make chemicals to prove it'.

Such things, of course, would not matter, were there not an entirely different set of microbes that 'eat' humans and have found ways past our current chemicals to kill them. This is the very typical and perhaps tiresome plea on behalf of small-critter biodiversity. Don't let that stuff slip away because 300 plus millions years of microbial cross-hate is not something we might re-create in a few decades of lab work, even with fabulous funding.