1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another L5 (this one in Cleveland)

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by adagiopop, Oct 5, 2008.

1. adagiopop

adagiopop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We got our Hymotion L5 on 9/19.

We live in the Cleveland area and drove to Fitzgerald Toyota in Maryland to get it installed. A long drive, but definitely worth it and the service was excellent.

I heard that the Wall Street bailout bill includes a tax credit for "plug in elective drive motor vehicles". If anyone understands what is being said in section 205 of H.R. 1424, I would appreciate hearing about it. I think this is the final bill, but I am not sure of that.

2. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad to hear the installation was outstanding. My turn is on Oct 7th, Tuesday this coming week at Fitzgerald, Toyota.

From the Tax Bill it appears that it must be a New Qualified. I don't know weather Hymotion can be considered as New.

3. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I read the text of the bill, and I've read a few articles on it, and I'm pretty sure we're out of luck. I think the credit applies only to new cars purchased after 12/31/2008.

I've put the literal language of the bill identifying what qualifies as below. Everything refers to a new vehicle being put into service, ie., a new car. The start date -- January of next year -- I found on one website, but I could not dig out of the bill anywhere.

Basically, the purpose of this is to give GM the $7500 per Volt that GM wanted. I don't think that purchasers of retrofit kits were even on their radar screen.

Here's the CalCars writeup of it:

$1Billion Plug-In Incentives Will Speed Auto Industry's Transformation

Here's the text of the bill where they define what will qualify for the credit:

(c) New Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle- For purposes of this section, the term `new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle' means a motor vehicle--
      • `(1) which draws propulsion using a traction battery with at least 4 kilowatt hours of capacity,

• `(2) which uses an offboard source of energy to recharge such battery,

• `(3) which, in the case of a passenger vehicle or light truck which has a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than 8,500 pounds, has received a certificate of conformity under the Clean Air Act and meets or exceeds the equivalent qualifying California low emission vehicle standard under section 243(e)(2) of the Clean Air Act for that make and model year, and

• `(A) in the case of a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 pounds or less, the Bin 5 Tier II emission standard established in regulations prescribed by the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency under section 202(i) of the Clean Air Act for that make and model year vehicle, and

• `(B) in the case of a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 6,000 pounds but not more than 8,500 pounds, the Bin 8 Tier II emission standard which is so established,

• `(4) the original use of which commences with the taxpayer,

• `(5) which is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer and not for resale, and

• `(6) which is made by a manufacturer.

4. adagiopop

adagiopop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for information. I agree that we are probably out of luck. But we bought it to help support efforts like Hymotion and get better mileage also.