1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another "Life Cycle" claim about EVs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 24, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As I was driving back from Nashville, I was listening to the Autoline Daily podcast and started muttering:
    Source: AD #1177 – Bentley Adding SUV, Toyota Struggles in South America, GM Re-Hires Retirees | John's Journal - Part 1

As soon as he said "life cycle" I remembered the 2006 CNW Marketing "Dust-to-Dust" nonsense. I knew whatever was claimed about "life cycle" would be someone's anti-EV fantasy. So I got home and sure enough, someone had posted 'something wrong on the Internet.'

My reply, we don’t need comments about “. . . the life cycle energy use of . . .” as we’ve already seen that silliness from CNW Marketing about the Prius in 2006. These questions puncture that thought bubble:
    1. Can I buy the car? Yes or No – When the answer is “Yes” the cars, whatever they are, sell. To claim the design, engineering, and manufacturing makes them too expensive is nonsense when they are selling, like the Prius or recently the Leaf.
    2. Can I afford to drive the car? Yes or No – The answer is “Yes” by driving the car following the publicly known, EPA protocol. In fact, we get better mileage than on the window sticker. In auto journalism, the most credible report has been the Edmund’s “Smackdown” series that run sets of cars on the same route, together, the same trip, and reports the comparative mileage.
    3. Is the car too expensive to salvage? Yes or No – Even a salvage yard will pay for a junker dragged through the gate. No one is coming back later with a ‘recycling bill’ to the last owner.
    Thanks to the 2006, CNW Marketing’s “Dust-to-Dust” report, the words “Life Cycle Costs” has the credibility of a tobacco company press release. Let those foolish enough to claim “life cycle” anything . . . alone in their foolishness.

Bob Wilson

john1701a likes this.
  2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Endless...Within 10 years, we'll still hear something alike...

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Even the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) has Turned green. They published the same arguments in the "IEEE Spectrum" magazine last month.

JeffD - Life Senior IEEE Member

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Life cycle analysis is entirely appropriate. However, a crappy study is a crappy study, life cycle or not.
    Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

drinnovation likes this.
  5. wstt

wstt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You stated above "A recent report commissioned by the EPA on the life cycle analysis of lithium-ion batteries...", doesn't the Prius not have a lithium ion battery anyway?

In the second study, are they saying it is more damaging to the environment to recycle a hybrid car? I find it hard to believe the building and recycling of a hybrid car is that much worse for the environment that it overrides the benefits of the extra gallons of gas burned over time.
    Sure they compare it to diesels, but I don't see many diesels at all in the US. Almost no one is paying up for TDi's.

6. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd argue that EV's actually are more harmful in the production process due to the elements needed for their parts. If you're going to actually drive it though then it'll have a smaller "footprint" than a conventional petrol car though. I'm sick of the two viewpoints that EV's are either A. Not an impact on the environment or B. An environmental disaster.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Even walking has an environmental impact, you burn energy, eat more, it has to be grown and/or transported.

The question to ask is how much impact compared to the alternative and is the alternative available, affordable and safe?

8. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, I suppose you could shoehorn one into the key fob. You'd be able to start your car from anywhere in town... :)

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, in case we missed you Jeff, I believe we had a long thread going on the IEEE Spectrum article.

Anyway my argument remains the same this month, no one in Congress really said EV was cleaner (which was the mistaken orig justification for ethanol) rather is gov't supported as an alternate fuel to gasoline, to reduce dependence on imported oil and of course to create US jobs in a new EV/PHEV/battery industry. Ethnaol justification has long since been changed over to reduce oil imports and create jobs also. It is hard to argue against those justifications, you can argue it, but it's a philosophic argument.

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like the anti-EV crowd is getting desperate........

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Bob, where IS Art Spinella anyway ... shouldn't he be here to defend plug-in's over the Hummer? He sure gave it his best shot on your average run of the mill hybrid ... and folks still think his 'spin' is gospel even to this day. You think it's any coincidence the article fails to mention that (for example) Nissan boasts every element of the Leaf is re-cycled? ... and/or that many parts are manufactured out of recycled elements? I guess that's not what the author finds more important, or I'm SURE he'd of mentioned it. ;)

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I figure Spinella is keeping a low profile and in low demand, now that GM is trying sell the Volt.

13. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unless he has an outstanding job offer with Big Oil or Faux News.

14. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Isn't one of the hidden goal of corn based ethanol is to starve our Mexicans neighbors? All the while we could have/should have bought Brazil's ethanol?

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No

16. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Well, if they did not do it by plan, they certainly did a good job doing it "without planning" just to pad US farmers' wallets. Corn used to be so cheap, now Mexicans complain they cannot make dinner at current prices.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As the now fattest nation, perhaps that's a good thing.

18. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Wait... are you saying the poor Mexicans (ie. in Mexico) are fat? They survive on corn as part of their daily dietary needs. They don't go out to a fast food joint to eat pink slime.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They probably aren't, but Mexico did recently passed the US as the most obese nation.

20. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I feel that he performed his disinformation work in a capable and highly professional manner. I assume that there is no shortage of potential customers for someone who can distort public opinion on command.