1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another New Owner

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Tomel51, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Tomel51

Tomel51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Picked up my White Package 2 on Thursday and love it so far!

Interesting story. Tried to buy a Pri in 2005. Ordered one from a local dealer (at that time there was a 3 month wait). We agreed on the price, the package and he agreed no last minute "extras." Three months later, the dealer called that my Pri had arrived. When I went to pick it up, the dealer had added about $500 of "extras." When I told him that wasn't what we had agreed on, he basically said "tough", take it or leave it. I told him to shove it (not due to the extra cost, but on principal) and bought a new Civic.

Now the rest of my story. When gas prices peaked last year, I heard that demand for Pris had jumped up again. When gas prices subsequently crashed, I began to wonder whether any of the local dealers had over-ordered and were carrying excess inventory. Turns out, after checking the online inventories of the 4 local dealers, that indeed some of the dealers had apparently over-ordered. Bottom line, I got my new 2009 Pri at a price that was low enough to more than cover the depreciation on the Civic. In other words, I now have a 2009 Pri and my total cash out (including the Civic) was less than if I had bought the 2005 Pri in the first place.

2. ruby

ruby Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds like you got a great deal. Welcome to PC, and enjoy your new Prius!