1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another New Prius Owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dandeman, Apr 16, 2006.

1. dandeman

dandeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Picked up a 2006 white one with Package #3 and Port of Entry Leather seats, a week ago last Saturday.

I had ordered and received the Factory Service Manuals Volumes 1 thru 4 plus the Electrical manual before we even got the Prius.... something I've done on all the Toyotas I've had..

btw all four volumes plus the electrical wiring diagram volume will run you $610.22 plus shipping... 18lbs of books

A little intro for myself......
    I occasionally write articles focusing primarily on Toyota electrical, off road applications, and OBDII systems since my background is electrical engineering.. My web site here at http://home.4x4wire.com/deddleman/ (click on the 4Runner pic) has links to some of my scribblings. :)

I'm sure that interest in all things electrical had no influence whatsoever on purchasing the Prius.. :p :p

My Toyota vehicle history '71 Mark II, '88 Camry wagon which we still have with 247,000 miles on it and still running good, an '85 Cressida which I sold when we bought our 2000 4Runner. The 4Runner just turned 100,000 miles, so for a Toyota, it's just been broken in. :rolleyes:

The 4Runner is our long trip, off into the boonies off road vehicle... been exploring the Rocky Mountain, Colorado and Green River basin areas on extended trips that we like to do about every 3 years. Hope to step this up when the wife retires...

All Toyotas we've had have been kept for a minumum 220,000 miles...

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow! Congratulations and welcome to PriusChat! You'll find all your electrical inquiries answered here if need be. If not, you're among friends with our surprisingly large base of EEs.... or so it seems to be.

3. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You're going to think you died and went to heaven with all the toys and mods for the Prius. An EE will be right at home here, welcome!

4. Dripps

Dripps New Member

While you're looking through those volumes of manuals....and while using your electrical expertise....please post ASAP the override for Navigation input while driving!
    Oh yeah....P L E A S E ?? !!

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome! You may be here to ask questions as you learn about the smartest car on the road, but see, already you are being asked questions. :) You'll love your Prius, and understand it better than many of us!

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome, and congratulations!! :)

7. dandeman

dandeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dripps @ Apr 16 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]240587[/snapback]</div>

In looking through the FSM, it looks to be impossible to make a hardware "mod" to override the Navigation input function while driving.. The Navigation unit senses vehicle motion not only from the GPS calculations, but also has speed sensor input from the vehicle, as well as input from the Navigation unit gyro.. These two latter inputs are necessary for the unit to do "dead reckoning" navigation when the GPS signals are momentarily lost. If the speed inputs from the various sources don't match up, it will post an error code....

So.... there is no hardware "mod" that would do what you want. It would have to be a "hidden" software feature to disable it, that is if such a hidden feature were in the code. I don't see any such "feature" in the diagnostic menus...

By comparison, Garmin automotive GPS systems provide a "Safe Mode" override in the setup to allow a "passenger" to operate the unit with full function.