1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another new Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mmoncur, Jun 1, 2007.

1. mmoncur

mmoncur New Member

My wife and I have been Volkswagen owners for years, but the continuing problems with our VW Beetle and VW's reliability issues convinced us to try something different. Also, I'm a computer geek and the Prius is the ultimate geek car.

Anyway, we picked up a black '07 Touring Edition, Package 2, last weekend, and we're very happy! I've been lurking at PriusChat for two years while fantasizing about owning one, and now I'm ready to actually participate...

First impressions:

- It's not nearly as weird to drive as I imagined.

- SKS is extremely cool. Now I'm frustrated that my house doesn't have it.

- Black isn't a very popular Prius color - we could only find one in any dealer's lot, and we bought that one. (I also considered Barcelona Red and Mag Grey, but Black is my favorite.)

- I deliberately ran the battery down driving up Parley's Canyon to see how bad the car could get on hills - it lost some power when the battery got low, but I was still able to go 55 at the worst part. (This is a long, steep road from Salt Lake City to Park City - during the summer it's common to see 4-5 overheated vehicles by the side of the road.)

- The 6-speaker stereo isn't bad. Not amazing, but as good as the $300 stereo and $200 worth of speakers in our other car. The quiet engine makes it sound better too.

- Bought the car from Mark Miller Toyota in downtown Salt Lake. The salesman and other staff were very nice and we got a decent deal. No particular pressure to buy add-ons or extended warranties. (The other two Prius on their lot were sold within a day while we arranged financing. I think the days of waiting lists are about to return.)

Filled up the tank for the first time today. 350 miles, two pips left on the fuel gauge, and it took 8 gallons of gas. None of the expected trouble filling it up. 44 MPG average, and some of that was deliberate bad driving to see what the car could do...

Anyway, thanks to everyone here who helped me decide to buy this car!

2. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations!

I have a Black 2007 Prius. I also traded a 2003 Beetle convertible in on the Prius. I loved the beetle but hated the lack of reliability.

3. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    May the force be with you :)

I just put my money down last night on the last Prius available in the norht chicagoland area. An Black 07 Touring package #3. I agree with the black not always being the most popular. I think it looks the best in black. I've had too many silver and gray cars lately. Miss black. It really looks good when the windows are tinted :D

Good Luck,
    Alex

4. mmoncur

mmoncur New Member

Thanks all, and congratulations Alex!

I think the number of Prius on dealer lots in the Salt Lake area went from about 20 to about 3 over Memorial Day weekend...

BTW, I like the way the Touring Edition handles, although I haven't driven a regular Prius. Corners nicely.

5. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

congratulations! enjoy your new car! ya.... beyond the whole starting with a button.... driving is the same (step on the gas... press the brake pedal! although i do tned to drive more like a lil ole lady *gasp* with those displays flaunting my fuel usage!!!!)