1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Newbe

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Dragonrider, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Dragonrider

Dragonrider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm new to the forum, having just purchased a 10 IV, with the sunroof package - I like the car, but when the weather gets bad, I will always opt for my X3, and if it's REALLY bad, then the RAM 3500 4x4 rolls out. Both of these are fully equipped for the worst winter can toss.

I bought the Prius for my bride of 39 years, who puts 4,000 miles a year on a car, most of it in town, and half the time with a couple of grandkids in the car. So far, I think it's the perfect choice.

I don't think the Prius would be our choice for long drives either - I'm 6'4", and she's 5'11". Both the X3 and RAM offers tons more long range comfort, albeit at a 40% milage cost. Now if gas hits $7+ a gallon, then comfort might not carry as much weight….

This car will NEVER see more than 70-75 mph, nor see the use that many of the posts indicate. At our rate of usage, the batteries should be good until 2025, or so…

All-in-all, the car looks nice, rides well enough, handles OK, and gets great milage. If I was looking for more, I probably would not have selected the Prius…. jmho

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well welcome aboard anyway! :)

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love all the backhanded Prius slams. Great post. lol

4. jdimetal

jdimetal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gas prices wont be going down any time soon so your love for the Prius should only grow. TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) on the Prius compared to your other vehicles will show quite a large gap.

Properly equiped, the Prius does very well in the snow. Give it a try, it may surprise you.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome Aboard. :welcome:

Hope yer bride enjoys the car!!

6. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, I'd think the batteries have a chance of lasting longer with MORE usage than you plan, and your figures are clearly incorrect regarding mileage percentages.

X3's get about 19 MPG and the Ram 3500 gets about 15 MPG (at best), so your mileage percentages are WAY OFF. At those numbers, the Prius would be about 163 % better than the X3, and the Prius would be about 233 % better than the Dodge Ram 3500 ... not the 40 % that you mention.

Comfortwise, I'm sure the X3 may have an advantage, but the Ram certainly wouldn't, as they typically ride like buckboards ... I know ... I had one.

Regarding your statement of 'Had you wanted 'more', you wouldn't have bought a Prius' .... well ... yeah ... I'd think every single person here would say that exact same thing ....

If I was driving 4000 miles per year ... I think I would have picked a different car ... who cares about mileage (MPG's) at that yearly number ? I would have bought a bigger, nicer car for the same money and not worried about the negligible difference in gas cost for that low amount of miles per year. You're only talking about 80 gallons of gas for the Prius in 4000 miles vs maybe twice that for a FAR NICER CAR at the same money as a Prius IV. So we're talking about roughly an 80 gallon difference per year in terms of money ? I wouldn't have even bought a Prius at those numbers. There's a whole lot of better cars on the market than a Prius at roughly $26-28K if you don't need the high MPG, which you obviously don't given your other two vehicles and your miles per year.

Good luck with the new Prius ! :D Hope it serves you well !

REV

7. Dragonrider

Dragonrider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmm - I purchased my RAM 3500 (diesel - not gas) new in 2005 - it gives a consistent 14 around town, 16 pulling a 8000# trailer on the highway, and an honest 21 unladen, on the highway (occasionally better). The Beemer is an '07 that averages 28mpg on my trips to California (680 miles down I5). All documented.

I haven't finished the first 1/2 tank on the Prius yet, but thus far, its running 43.5, or about 10mpg less than my BMW K1200LT motorcycle, but 10mpg BETTER than my CanAm Spyder.

So, for a cage, it's getting OK marks, so far. The best part is my SO likes it, and the GEN III is the best looking (IMHO)…..

8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was using average numbers from www.fuelly.com for both vehicles. Check it out if you wish ... it's a great site for tracking your mileage, and you can view others' as well. One 07 X3 averaged 16 MPG, the other averaged 19 MPG. The only ones over 20 MPG were Diesels (all about 24 MPG). All 07 3500's averaged from 13.4 - 16.1 ... So it seems that you easily exceed the average on your X3 and 3500, but fall well short of average with the Prius. Strange .... Nice bikes by the way !! My Honda ST1100 only gets about 43 MPG.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/x3

http://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/ram%203500

REV