1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Newbie Intro

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by christob, Jun 14, 2007.

1. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Howdy folks... Proud new Prius owner (and PriusChat member) here... 2007 Package 2, Silver, picked it up last night. Replaces a 6-cylinder Honda Accord Coupe, so I'm really looking forward to a nice improvement in gas mileage! (Road trip DC to NYC tomorrow morning... hoping to see some nice MPG on that trip, at least, but I'll have 2 passengers along as well, weighing me down... ;)

I'm still struggling to find my way around this website--it is massive, apparently, just in terms of Forum chats. And even though I just used an acronym above, there are so many freakin' acronyms (and Prius-specific vocabulary) in the posts and articles, I'm having a tough time trying to decipher them all as fast as I encounter them.

Anyone know of a specific thread here, that provides detailed instructions on ideal Prius driving techniques for maximizing gas mileage? (My Toyota dealer apparently holds a monthly Hybrid Clinic, which I will plan to attend as well in July...) I've seen mention of "pulse & glide", "feathering", and other promising phrases, but not a clear explanation of what any of those things actually mean, behind the wheel, to someone who has never done it nor read enough posts here yet, to find one where it is all explained!

Also, this is kinda silly, but I really miss my little built-in coin organizer (dimes, nickels, quarters, springloaded dispenser)... anyone found such an accessory that fits nicely into one of the various bins or empty cupholders?

Looking forward to driving further in my Prius, and diving further into PriusChat, in my spare time!
    -Chris

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The best thing you can do, is drive the car.
    Once you get used to the handling, when you are in situations where you don't have to focus intently on the road (like in traffic), turn on the MFD (multi-function display) and switch it over to Energy. Glance at it once in awhile to see what happens when you do various things. I like to do this on empty roads and streets, or in parking lots.
    You'll figure it all out :D

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Welcome, Chris, to PriusChat and Prius-dom!

Check out this PC thread, especially the link in the first post, and this CleanMPG article. That should be plenty to get you started.

Good luck!

4. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations and welcome to PC! Let us know how about trip details, you will probably get more than 50mpg on the highway, even if the car/tires are not broken-in.

5. MaulWalker

MaulWalker New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Jun 14 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]461848[/snapback]</div>
    Chris, as another former Accord driver, I miss my coin holder too!

6. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Jun 14 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]461848[/snapback]</div>

Here's a good site with links:
    http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/...s-linkfarm.html

But if you Google Prius hints or driving tips you will find more than you thought possible. This was VERY helpful to me when I first started driving mine.

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-userguide.htm

7. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm very happy this weekend, with my first taste of higher MPG... I head home from NY later today, but so far the entire trip has had an average of 50.3 mpg, nearing 475 miles. Running A/C from time to time, 2 other men in the car for most of that, and then those 2 plus a woman for about the last 100 miles or so.
    It was a blast to pass 400 miles on the first full tank of gas, with a good bit left still---enough to get me to Jersey, where gas is about $2.85, compared to NYC, $3.35. My Accord could just barely hit 400 miles on a tankful, if I was lucky, so this is terrific! And while playing with the Multi Function Display over the weekend, I even spotted a few 5-minute intervals supposedly at 100mpg. Musta been that stop-and-go traffic on the NY roads, mostly electric, and mostly stopped ;) Never did get the 4 "car" images to stack up, for 50kW's regenerated... managed 3 at one point... ;) It is like a competition with yourself!
    And, my battery indicator got to within 1 bar of "full charge"---does it ever fill in every bar on that display? (And I assume it is normal, that when 2 or more bars are NOT lit, the remaining bars are blue---but when only 1 is unlit, they all switch to green?)
    Finally, I had my first "Prius" moment; parked at the wedding hotel, my friends got out, and I went to lock the car with the doorhandle button... the car just beeped at me. I tried a few more times, tried the Lock button on the keyfob... before I realized that I'd never actually powered off the car off! Just put it in Park. ;)
    Sincerely thrilled with my first 72 hours,
    -Chris

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome to PriusChat, Chris!

6 bars is normal (2 from the top). When it reaches 7 or 8, it turns green and when you get down to 1 or 2 bars, it's pink (or purple.. whichever colour you want to call it). It makes counting the bars easier.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 17 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]463597[/snapback]</div>
    ...and the battery is never fully charged or discharged. You see only the operating range for the SOC (State of Charge). The computers in the car will handle the charging of the battery. Just understand that the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) will run longer or more often the lower the bars.

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome aboard.

My 2007 Prius also replaces a 6 cylinder Honda Accord. My only regret is that I made the awful mistake of buying a 2006 Civic Hybrid in between. Happy for you that you obviously avoided the expensive intermediate step.

11. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Jun 14 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]461848[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Chris, which dealer did you buy from? I bought my Prius from Jack Taylor on Route 1 in Alexandria back in April, and just attended their new owner's reception last week. Overall it was very helpful and a great chance to ask specific questions about the car.

By the way I've also enjoyed making it all the way from DC to NY and then waiting until I'm well into NJ on the return trip before having to filling up the tank again. I take 295 instead of the Turnpike between Trenton and Delaware -- there's a Shell station at exit 40 (Moorestown) that's right off 295. So nice to pay $2.85 and get full service instead of having to pump it myself.

12. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nybiker @ Jun 22 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]466482[/snapback]</div>
    The same dealer. Do you recall who your sales guy was? Were you happy with the sales process there?
    Glad to hear you liked the Prius reception---do they send a notice out in the mail, about it? Haven't heard a date yet, other than it would likely be a weekday. Reminds me, they owe me a tank of gas, since mine had only 3 bars lit when I drove off... wonder if they'll take my word, when I finally get down near E again...
    Gotta love that full-serve, 2.85 gas up there... and waiting in the pump lines is a non-issue, with the ICE not running! ;)

13. sheeba37

sheeba37 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jun 18 2007, 01:25 AM) [snapback]463843[/snapback]</div>
    What was wrong with the Honda Civic Hybrid? I don't own any Hondas but was just curious? Thanks,
    Jim

14. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jim... From my perspective, I can't say anything was really wrong with the Civic Hybrid---but I didn't own one; I'll wait to hear what NoMo says about that...!
    Plenty will tell you that Honda's hybrid system is not as good/effective, not designed-from-the-ground-up, not as intelligent, etc., as Toyota's---I'm not nearly techy enough to say with any authority.
    I'd had a gas Civic sedan 2 cars ago, and enjoyed it for 5 years. (Plus a Civic Hatchback for 10 years before that, and then the 6-cyl Accord for 5 years, after the sedan. Definitely had a loyal Honda streak in me, and fully expected to go with the Civic, in gas or the hybrid, initially...)
    But, the Prius just won me over, in the test drive. It had the higher EPA MPG numbers (not that I've yet reached the 61 quote; in fact, my Prius mpg is currently on track with the 50/50 mpg the Civic sticker showed, back when I test drove it!) and I really liked that the Prius was SO spacious. The styling of the car appealled to me too; I think I was just ready for a bigger overall change, going to hybrid, than "just another tried-and-true, vanilla Civic in my car history." Of course, as Prii continue to multiply like rabbits, and other hybrids & EV's emerge, they may eventually come to be seen as "vanilla" over time, too!