1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another newbie question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bhaynnes, Sep 13, 2006.

1. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Every time I shut my car off, I hear something whirring for a while. What is that? :unsure:

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One of the sources is the coolant transfer pump. It transfers the hot coolant into a thermo. When you restart the car, the hot coolant is used to warm up the engine faster.

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

You may also hear that same noise if you are in stealth for a long time or stopped in traffic and not moving. It is doing what the above post says.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IAO, are you sure you're not confusing it with the sound of the braking system?

5. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 13 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]319111[/snapback]</div>
    I have heard a separate sound from that very similar to the coolant transfer noise when I am stopped for a long period of time. I usually hear it wile stopped, unless the brake system makes noises when you have been stopped for a wile. We have drawbridges around here as well as railroads so I get to sit sometimes in excess of 10 minutes. Usually around that time, I hear a noise like the coolant system pump.

So I don’t know then. What noise am I hearing?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The brake sound can occur if the car is parked and you press on the brake pedal. I'm not sure when it occurs in other scenarios since it doesn't seem to have a pattern.

The brake sound is more like a whirl and lower pitch while the coolant is a higher pitch. I know there's a mp3 recording of it somewhere in PC. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit:

found it

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...&hl=thermos

last post at the bottom of the page

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The sounds you have described are normal ...

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    completely normal. It might be the slight whine from pressing the break, but in addition to that the coolant pumps do go for several seconds after you turn the car off. Also, the car will make similar noises a few hours after it's been shut off as it cycles stuff. All completely normal.

9. iaowings

iaowings New Member

the file Is missing for the mp3 sound.

Ok you are probably right the noise I hear in traffic has to be the brake’s. I sometimes pump them as I get bored and start to move around. I did not realize the break system made noise other than when regen braking.

10. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 13 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]319311[/snapback]</div>

Every time I go to one of the older posts I am sent to I get the following

The error returned was:
    Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Sep 13 2006, 08:22 AM) [snapback]318921[/snapback]</div>
    I'll bet that is the one. It usually starts as I'm getting out of the car.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The mp3 is probably removed from the database (or lost from the last crash).