1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another noise question - with video!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by s11, Sep 1, 2023.

1. s11

s11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hoping the audio comes through on this - its best around the 45 second mark til the end.

A couple months ago my 2015 Prius started making a sound that is akin to a motorboat or an old bathroom fan. It's been to 4 different places including a dealership, and the only consensus I seem to get is that it is not wheel bearings (which I could swear it was). Toyota believes it's road/tire noise, but the tires are fairly good with a lot of tread and I don't notice any odd wear on any tires.

The sound starts to become noticeable around 40 Kmph and is far more noticeable on smooth, freshly paved roads than on rougher roads. The noise gets faster (but not louder) as I drive, and once I get below 35 kmph or so it goes away or gets faint enough where I don't notice it. the noise is the same whether i'm in electric mode or using the ICE.

I recently had a slew of work done (Water pump, spark plugs, Front rotors and pads, rear Calipers). I do notice the sound is more noticeable from the drivers seat than anywhere else in the car. My Mileage does not seem affected in any way since this noise started.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Note that my phone picks up a lot of ambient noise so it may take a good set of ears to hear what I'm talking about!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I hear it and I would say wheel bearings would be the start You might be able to jack up the front of the car and put it on ramps I mean put it on jack stands and accelerate the car while it's not really moving and try to isolate it to the front of the rear Hi mileage just replaced the fronts and then the rear. It's time anyway You don't have to use the $200 a piece wheel bearings but shop around you'll find what suits you.

3. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Your symptoms are classic wheel bearings, but if the stealership is declining to take your money to replace the wheel bearings, they must have a pretty good reason.

Like you suspected, tires are a possibility. A no-cost check would be to rotate them and see whether that improves the situation. Maybe you have uneven wear.

Another thing to check -- a similar noise can come from worn bearings in your transmission or even low transmission fluid level. Another no-cost check would be the transmission fluid level.

It sure does seem like wheel bearing, but there are some low-hanging fruit that you could check before throwing money at the problem.

4. s11

s11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly I cannot do any of this myself, but I am due for an oil change and never even thought about potentially low transmission fluid. Could always ask my mechanic to give that a quick check.

5. s11

s11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update (Sort of). I have noticed a small puddle near the drivers side tire and am wondering if CV axle or something related might be the culprit.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The axel doesn't cause puddles. There would be grease all over the wheel!
    What color is it? If it's red, could be inverter, or radiator, or hose....

Grit likes this.