1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another one waiting for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tomato, May 9, 2006.

1. tomato

tomato New Member

I placed my "order" and $500 deposit for a Magnetic Gray #4 the first week of March w/ the dealer closest to my house. He said we were looking at May-June delivery, which was fine. I checked w/ him first week of April, and he said still June delivery, which was still fine. Last Tuesday I called him and he said it might be up to 6 more months because he was just filling requests from last November with the current allocation. He told me he would call with my place "in line". He has never called me back yet. I made a few phone calls to other dealers in the area last Thursday, and found a white #6 coming in to a dealer in another town only about 1 hour away that was not assigned to anyone yet from their allocation later this month, so I am taking that one instead, but I'm going to wait till I'm 100% sure of getting the white one before calling the first dealer and cancelling. I know the first dealer cannot control how many cars they receive in their allocation, but i kind of feel like they are not being too up front with me. Maybe someone else is offering more $$$$ than me????
    Has anyone else had this happen recently here in Colorado, or elsewhere? I know people are waiting much more than three months for these cars, but I probably would have looked at other options if I had been told it would be 6-9 month wait originally.
    Looking forward to being an owner!!

2. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza New Member

Hang in there. I assure you the Prius is worth the wait.

I must say though that when I read of the run around some folks are getting from dealers, I thank my lucky starts that I found a good one. I ordered my Prius on February 15 from Dick Milham Toyota in Easton/Bethlehem, PA. (I know that doesn't help you in CO). My sales guy, Peter Feld, told us straight up where we stood in line and that the targeted delivery date was in the May time frame. After every allocation meeting, he'd call to let us know the latest on where we stood. Imagine our joy and surprise when we got an e-mail with a photo of our Prius coming off the truck at the dealer in late April.

Again hang in there. Sounds like you have some options which is a good thing.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need to talk to more dealers. Allocations very widely, so you may be able to do much better with another dealer, especially if you are willing to drive a little way.

Tom

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

If you're able to travel within, say, a 300-500-mile radius to get the car you want, I'd get on the phone/internet. You shouldn't have to settle for a different color AND package, either.

That's what I did in Feb. after having the same thing happen as you. Called 50 dealers in 5 states over 3 days. Found what I wanted 200 mi. away.

FWIW, there's a good dealer in Dodge City, KS with not very much Prius demand---and they'll swap with other dealers to get what you want. I almost bought from them. but was able to find something closer at the last minute.

Worth the effort. Good luck.

5. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 9 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]252491[/snapback]</div>
    Sedalia, MO-Town and Country Motors. I had a one month wait. I live halfway between Sedalia, MO and Kansas City, MO. All the dealers in Kansas City have a 6-12 month wait. The dealer in Sedalia is about 4- weeks. I actually had a chance at a Seaside Pearl Prius/tan interior within ONE week but I didn't like the interior color.

Your best bet, as ghostofjk said, is to go to a small town, in middle America, where everyone drives pick-up trucks and SUV's, like Dodge City, KS or Sedalia, MO. The demand is low. Your wait will be less. Don't settle for the color. I almost did with the Seaside Pearl/tan interior, but held out for the car I wanted.

Hang in there.

6. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 9 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]252560[/snapback]</div>

Try this: go to Toyota's home page. There is a link on the lower left called something like "Locate a dealer in your area." Type in your zip code in the white block, and a page will open that has all the Toyota dealerships within about 50 miles or so of you. There should be a link for each dealer that you can click and that will open that dealer's home page. When I do this in Louisiana, the home page for each dealer looks almost exactly the same, except for the dealer's name. Each dealer's home page has a block near the top, on either the left or right side, for you to check their inventory. Just select 2006 for the year and Prius for the model. A page will then open that shows all the Priuses not only for that dealership, but for what looks to be your whole state. Each Prius will be shown as either Available or In Stock. Available means that dealer can get it from one of the other dealers in your state. Keep going through each dealer's home page until you find one that has one or more Priuses in stock.

You may have to repeat this process for several major cities in your state. For example, I did it for both Baton Rouge and New Orleans, which altogether pulled up the home pages for about 10 Toyota dealerships. Thus, I would able to find all available Priuses in the southern part of Louisiana. With just a few clicks.

I got very lucky. I went to a nearby dealer and drove out with my new Prius in 3 hours. Hadn't pre-ordered or made a deposit. Even got $750 off the sticker price, tho that was on March 28, before the recent sharp increases in gas prices.

Good luck,

Gary