1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another p1116 question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bunchahoopla, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Bunchahoopla

Bunchahoopla New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So, I have done my research and read a lot on here and still don't know where to start trouble shooting. I am a newbie with the gen II. Wife has a 2013 V and I bought a 2007 with 200000k on the clock. Got a good deal on the car and knew I would have some issues so here is what I am battling. CEL came on and throwing code P1116. We all know the generic code saying engine coolant temp sensor, cooling sensor clogged, etc. this is the only code on the reader. I checked the coolant level and everything is within standards. No leaks appear from the lines. I believe the carfax shows a fender bender so maybe the CHS tank sensor didn't get replaced? So, I guess what I am asking is:
    Should I buy a MINi VCI to locate the problem (I plan on getting one eventually just wanted to save money isolating the problem now)? ECU problem? I have read previous post with bad ECUs throwing P1116 but these post were 2+ years. Sometimes it sounds like there might be gurgling from the dash...I say sometimes lightly because it is very faint but have also read older post stating air could throw the p1116 code so maybe a coolant flush? Also, big question: is the engine coolant temp sensor identical to the CHS tank sensor? The local parts store couldn't find a CHS tank sensor part number just the engine so didn't know if they were the same. Thanks for reading and helping. Sorry for the long rant...I tried to research a lot before I posted

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, for sure.
    Eliminate other things first.
    This would be the first suspect. The CHS tank and engine cooling system can be a challenge to completely purge. So depending on how old the coolant is, either change it out, or at least top off the system with instruction on this site.
    Those are located in two diffent places. Not sure if CHS sensor is part of the coolant valve, or the tank? From what I read here, this problem is not normally a sensor failure as they are reliable. Usually it's air, then sometimes the valve at the CHS fails, and sometimes the pump fails. The latter two can be helped with a new coolant change, which at that mileage is likely needed.

3. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The CHS sensor is located at the bottom of the CHS tank and is not the same as the ECT sensor. I would make sure your coolant is full to start. Next, locate the sensor and check connection and wires that connect to it.

Avi

nh7o likes this.
  4. Bunchahoopla

Bunchahoopla New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you all for your tips and advise. I will go over the car this weekend and hopefully come to a solution. I will keep you all posted.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Given the accident history, look for wiring harness damage near the CHS tank.

6. robotandroid74

robotandroid74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Man, I’m glad he kept us posted like he said he would!