1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

another pickup truck encounter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JackDodge, Feb 2, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was driving to work this morning, going down a road with two lanes on each side and it deadends about a mile up ahead. I'm going to turn left so I'm in the left lane. The speed limit is 40 so I'm going 40. It's not long before a dumb f*ck in a pickup truck is right behind me. We have a lot of these jokers around here. Evidently I'm not going fast enough for him so he zips in to the right lane to pass. As he starts passing me I slow down to 35 so that I can help ensure that he gets where he's going without too much delay :) Then he moves in to my lane and I notice he seems to be going a little slower than I am so I slow down even more. My mileage is already improving :) Just before the light, he moves back in to the right lane and makes the right turn. It wasn't until then that I realized that he was trying to mess with me. Isn't that hilarious? He went to all that trouble to be offended by someone going the speed limit in the left lane and I didn't even notice until it was over :lol:

2. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always wonder what the education level is of the average pickup truck owner. Around here most are referred to as Yahoos. I saw one yesterday tailgating a mini van. Every time the truck tried to go around the van it moved to block him from passing. Fools. I stayed far away from both of them figuring a crash or road rage incident was about to happen. Surprisingly both of them went their seperate ways after 3 or 4 miles of their foolish game. No guns came out surprisingly.

So much for the idea that mini van owners are all responsible drivers.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

JackDodge, the EPA is revising it's mpg estimates these days. Perhaps they should have a variable based on truck driver density ;)

My wife and I were talking about this topic this morning. Both of us only drive slow when a passing lane exists, and neither of us have ever had people show us aggression. Obviously not every town is as polite as Albuquerque.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I've smashed many a mirror on pick up trucks and SUV's when they attempt similar stunts while on my bike.

Nothing like the feel of carbon fiber knuckle gloves explosively shattering mirror glass into the air while the mirror unit violently slams into either the door or fender...

:ph34r:

In one particular case, a friend and I pulled up along each side and did it in synch!

5. Mystery Squid

They are, uneqivocally, the WORST.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, we had an incident in charleston on the way home...

dude comes up behind us and nearly takes our rear bumper with him as he passes... then cuts in front of us so close he nearly too off the front end too... and as we slam on the brakes on the otherwise completely empty highway, he decides he should play with us a little.

the guy slams on his brakes so hard he's leaving tire tracks on the pavement, and comes up behind us with his brights on, flickering them at us. he's way too close to the bumper for our comfort. we slow down, hoping he gets bored with us and moves on, but no. he keeps following us. finally we speed up, and he comes around on the right, and throws a full beer can at our windshield. then he takes off at what must have been 100 mph, because we were going 70 and he flew ahead of us.

that was pretty scary.

7. agill

agill New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That sounds like a terrifying experience alright. I had something similar, but not that bad, happen to me when my wife and I were driving towards Buffalo last summer. At least i did not get anything thrown at my car. I took the first service exit i found to shake him off. But that was in my older car (Honda Accord).
    On my third day of driving our Prius, I was travelling towards Boston on I-93, and was in the right lane passing a car that was driving at 60 on the highway. All of a sudden this person with a huge pickup truck (a GM vehicle) sped up so close to our bumper, light flashing, that i thought he was going to hit us. I sped back into the left lane as soon as i had the oppurtunity and he passed and took off. Thankfully that was the last i saw of him.

8. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

You gotta wonder where these people are coming from psychologically. Driving a vehicle, to some, is their only empowerment over people and also one of the few releases for their anger.

probably have a dead-end job, and then have to go home to get yelled at by their spouse and bit by the dog.

9. Spunky

Spunky New Member

I've been treated to the worst behavior from drivers while riding my bicycle. Can't tell you how many side mirrors have whizzed by, just inches from my head. Folks in new SUVs or vans have no idea how wide their vehicles are.

Story told by a friend and her husband takes the cake. They were out riding on a country road when a DUMP TRUCK driver decided he was pissed at them. Honking and weaving, he rode their butts up a small hill. Leaned on the horn when he finally went by. They thought he was history but no, he stoppped and did a K-turn, then crossed the lanes into the oppposite shoulder and came head-on at them. They got off their bicycles and scampered into the brush. The truck roared by and then vanished up the hill.

There are crazies out there.

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've been there myself, many time, Spunky. I've been a cyclist for a long time and been on many MS150s and week-long bicycle trips and encountered many of those clowns. They're generally better behaved when there's a lot of cyclists on the road but when you're alone you're a sitting duck for some coward who thinks that you don't have a right to be on the road (you do) and because of that, they get to kill you. Having those jerks whizzing past you at 60 mph really enhances the feeling of mortality.

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am at first disturbed by the multitudes of erratic and unsafe drivers. I went through California Highway Patrol driver training (for police officers) and try to drive cautiously and always think ahead. So many drivers whip in and out of lanes, cut in front, pass in a bizarre manner and constantly substitute oil for knowledge.

As these drivers pass and go down the road in front of you, you quickly realize you were not the target. These folks drive irresponsibly and treat all other drivers the same. You take a breath and congratulate yourself that they didn't hit you . . . . this time. Can never be too cautious out there, regardless of speed or road.

Even though drivers supposedly passed an examination for their drivers licence, few realize bicycles are also vehicles and have the same rights and responsibilities as trucks and cars. Even in the best of circumstances (road condition, width, weather) you must be ever vigilent and aware while riding a bicycle.

12. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Whoah! I would have goten his plate number and called the cops. Legally that's assault, and that guys needs to be locked up! Once the beer can was thrown, there's enough evidence for cops to take you seriously - i.e., beer in his vehicle, beer on your windshield and beer can on the road. Probably enough evidence have the guy locked up for drunk driving too, depeninding on his B.A.C.!

Glad you made it ok though!
    Dave

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ha, that's the funny part.

i was on the phone with the cops for 45 minutes after the incident. they would do nothing. the can didn't bust open on the car, there was no damage to the car, and the cops wouldn't even send out a patrol car to look for the offending vehicle because they "weren't sure whose jurisdiction it was"

they claimed they'd send someone out to look for the tire marks and the beer can... but i doubt they did.

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, now that's horrible.

i've been nearly killed on my bike here, it was enough for me to quit biking until i move somewhere more bike-friendly... one of the biggest reasons i miss my college town.

and i saw a scene where a guy on a bike was hit by (what do ya know) a pickup truck. the pickup was going maybe 40 mph. the biker didn't make it.

that, and the story above, is enough for me. i would love to bike, but i prefer to live...

15. Mystery Squid

Most people don't realize how close the highways are to the Mad Max movies. On the roads, laws don't matter too much in the absence of police. All we have is the idea of "deterrence", and it's "shaky" at best... :ph34r:

Edit: This reminds of the ridiculousness of walking with your back to traffic. Never done that, never will.

16. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    USE YOUR CELL PHONE.
    The last guy that did this to me I held up my cell phone to take his picture. He backed right away.
    This works very well at night.

17. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you live in "Mayberry" and was the cop you talked to "Barney Fife"?? Two things about the cop- First, he probably was blowing you off. 2nd, He could have been so ignorant he doesn't even know whose jurisdiction you were in?? I doubt he was that dumb.

18. SAPrius

SAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In reading these "highway horror stories", I am saddened by the fact that when the we renew our driver's license, we don't have to recertify our IQ's.

Can you imagine after pulling over one of these idiots, the policeman requesting, "show me your license, proof of insurance and proof of intelligence cards".

Sigh...

19. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I,...uh....left it at home. I swear officer :p

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we were out of state. the midwestern accent gave us away immediately, he asked where we were from. i hate to say it but we've seen a lot of prejudice down in the southern states because we are clearly "not from round here"

i was mad that the guy got away with it, but more relieved that we got through it okay (and the car did too)