1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Prius Accident

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, Aug 9, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Recently there was a thread that asked the question "Do Priuses get into more than their fair share of accidents?" many thoughts were suggested as to why this might be. looking at the MFD, concentrating more on the mileage than the traffic, BT phones (if available), etc.

in my case, none of those reasons applied. while coming home from a shopping trip yesterday i was headed west on hwy 507 in Roy about 1:45 pm with CC on at 50 mph (the posted limit). i was about 20 feet from the driveway of a private gated community when this 1991 ford f-150 traveling in the opposite direction decided she should turn left. another 2 inches and i would have avoided her completely despite her being more than ½ way into my lane. the glancing blow was so slight that my sleeping SO did not realize we had hit anyone until a lady came up with contact information volunteering as a witness. she heard it, but didnt think we were involved.

despite the minimal change in inertia, the damage is extensive. neither doors will open, the entire left side was creamed. (she basically had damage but admitted the only new damage was a busted headlight. the rest of her damage was from a previous accident)

her insurance company contacted me while we were on the way home (had to call for a ride since my baby was towed) performed a tape-recorded interview and accepted liability and offered a rental car, which i accepted. they should be calling me today to go pick it up.

hopefully, the car can be fixed. despite the front wheel, i did drive it off the road (hwy 507 is a narrow two lane road with less than a foot of clearance on the shoulders in the area the accident took place) so i am hoping that if there is no frame damage, that it can be repaired.

if not, well now is my chance to get SKS!!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bummer Dave....Looks like it should just be body work, maybe a new 'thermos'. Glad all are ok.

3. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow Dave- glad no one was injured. Good luck getting back on the road.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ouch, hope this gets taken care of quickly :( glad you are okay!!

5. theorist

theorist Member

I'm glad that the rear quarter panel is the least damaged. I realized a while ago how most modern cars have rear fenders that are integrated into a single a strip of sheet metal going all the way to the A-pillar and the windshield which is welded to and part of the unibody. Many cars use the same single uni-body piece for both rear fenders and the roof.

6. taoofbean

taoofbean New Member

Dave, my condolences and glad no one was hurt. I saw this exact same damage on a silver Prius last week in Portland where three much older women were involved in an accident on I-5 heading into the city. Their car as I drove by was sideways on the interstate after being struck broadside by a dump truck. They all walked from the scene.

Did your airbags go off at all?

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thanks all for the concern,

1) airbags did not deploy. my gf was half asleep in the car, heard the accident but did not realize that we were the ones involved. i saw the side view mirror removed and thought that the damage would be minimal. we were both shocked when we saw the extent of the damage

the rear quarter panel is damaged but by the time the accident had traveled that far, the impact zone was minimal. the rear bumper cover is bent back and distorted about 18 inches deep as viewed from the rear but the metal beneath was not touched.

hopefully this will be resolved quickly. since the other drivers insurance company will be paying for my rental, i assume it will be settled fairly quickly.

i had just filled up the tank too. had less than 15 miles on it. will have to see how much gas is in it when i get it back from the body shop

8. buyaninsight

buyaninsight New Member

seems from these pictures and others that toyota may want to re-evaluate the extremely thin panels they use to save weight

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya maybe but those thin panels could have prevented the cars from locking together and making the accident much worse. plus i think the lack of impact and the angle of impact would have done similiar damage to most cars.

10. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh wow! I'm glad nobody was hurt. I really wish people would be more cautious when they deside to make turns that take them across incoming traffic. And it always seems that when you do get hit like that, it's always by a much bigger vehicle....... grrrrr!

I hope you get your car back ASAP.

11. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buyaninsight @ Aug 9 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]300291[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 9 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]300408[/snapback]</div>
    Having had an accident with a larger Toyota vehicle (Tacoma double cab) I am willing to defer to the engineers there. The cars may look bad afterward but minimizing damage to the inhabitants is way more important than the outside appearance. Breakaway technology is life saving for both parties involved.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buyaninsight @ Aug 9 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]300291[/snapback]</div>
    Just because it's thin, doesn't make it weak. You think a BMW is any better? I saw an old (mid 90s) BMW 3 series involved in a bumper-to-bumper accident (couldn't have been travelling more than 10km/h). He hit the Camaro in front and his hood crumpled. The Camaro on the other hand suffered next to no damage in the rear bumper and only a scratch on the hood where it hit the bike rack of the Jeep in front.

Anyway, Dave it looks bad but it's mostly panels that can be replaced. Note the doors are a hefty price and they're replaceable. I'm not sure about the fender since we never had to repair a fender on our cars before.

Hope you're back on the road asap and trouble-free!

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hope it costs a fortune to fix... other insurance co is paying for it... got a rental car that they are also paying for... its a *sigh*...*gag*... a ah uh....

c-c-c-chevy cavalier. im SO EMBARRASSED!! not much selection, they said i could change it for something else. will be calling them tomorrow morning. said would be others in to choose from.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha. oh man, don't remind of the time we got a Cav as a courtesy car. That was the worst one ever.

Well, there are ways to make the other party pay more. For example, instead of repairing the door panels, you could insist on ordering brand new ones from Japan. My dad did that once with our 1 month old Corolla back in 99. He was pissed that a Jeep Grand Cherokee driver talking on a cellphone backed into him after refuelling (my dad was waiting in line). So my dad asked for a brand new hood. The grille and headlights were fine. Who knew a Corolla hood cost $2,000?

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, i feel your pain. we got stuck with one of those as a rental when we went back home a while back. ughh.

16. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 10 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]301198[/snapback]</div>
    Who are you renting from?

I was stuck with a Pontiac Sunbird for one day. I've rented the Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla, 2006 Hyundai Sonata, Mazda 6, and Toyota Camry from Hertz. Those are all nice cars. In many states, their insurance is liable for a replacement vehicle rental and cannot restrict which company you use. If this rental company can't give you a car you like, you might even be able to get another rental company with the car you want to bill the insurance company directly.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    enterprise... that is what the other guys insurance company picked. i told them i wanted a more economical car. this car was listed as an economic car... i wonder how that classification works

18. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that'll buff right out

now its the fun part, dealing with insurance

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually dealing with MY insurance co. was a breeze. had my adjuster call to start a tape recorded interview. said it would take about 20-25 mins. i just mentioned off hand that the other insurance company had already accepted liability and my guy said "ok, saves me a trip, have a nice day" and was gone in less than 60 seconds...

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was any reason offered as to *why* she whipped her left into you?
    _H*