1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another question....Install a NAV System?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by streyle, Aug 11, 2004.

1. streyle

streyle New Member

Just curious if you can do this after purchasing the car......I got a #4 since that was available immediately........Not considering it now, but wanted to know in case I change my mind later...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a plethora of nice aftermarket NAV/GPS systems available. You can't install an OEM type, but the aftermarkets are often better and more easily updated. There are even some extremely nice PDA GPS nav systems out there where you can use the PDA when you don't need the NAV and can use the NAV when necessary in or out of the car.

3. streyle

streyle New Member

yeah, i know those are out there....would be neat if there was a way to integrate into the current system....

4. outoftown

outoftown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Integrated NAV is the way to go

I downloaded a factory picture and instructions on installing the factory NAV for the first generation Prius. I was going to attempt it and even had my Toyota dealer promise me factory invoice on the NAV at the time of purchase should I buy it separately. However, from the pics, it's a major job...complete dash removal. I decided it would be best to trade up to a car with a factory equipped NAV should I decide I need it. However I would say trading up is the best '04 or '05 option since you also gain the integrated voice commands.

Bill
    '01 Aqua Ice
    '04 Black #9
    '04 White #9

5. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Integrated NAV is the way to go

I can't speak to whether or not you can add an OEM Nav system, but I can say that a "complete dash removal" is no big deal. You can pretty much remove the whole dash in fifteen minutes. It looks scarier than it is.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One other suggestion for a nav system on the cheep, get a iQue. I have had one for 2 years and it is very nice. Works well as long as you are a IBM PC or clone user. You can make it work with a Mac but the operative word is make. Get the data base voice prompts etc and you can take it with you in a rental. You can use the data base as a quickie phone book and you have all the PDA features as well. The cost is less and it is versatile.

7. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just bought myself a Garmin streetpilot 2610. Just put it on the large Prius dash with a beanbag mount and it stays right in place.

I used it on a 4,200km trip last month and it worked flawlessly.

It's not as nice visually as an integrated GPS, but Garmin releases free software updates VERY frequently, and from what I understand, their software is a lot better & the routing more accurate than Toyota's GPS system.

And of course, you can always sell it and upgrade to something better if you want to, or just pack it in a suitcase and take it with you if you're travelling to another country.

Dave

8. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    GPS NAV

DaveG,
    I'm interested in obtaining the 2610 for our Prius ( arrives sometime in Oct?) . I've been researching the Garmin and have noted that the software includes excellent coverage for the US and major Canadian cities. My question, which I cannot find an answer to, is it your impression or knowledge that a more complete coverage for all of Canada is in the works ie info for smaller towns and not so large cities? Can't get an answer from Garmin.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As you have noted I have had a iQue for 2 years. I am now in the process of comparing them side to side. So far it is a draw. Both have strong and weak points. I have to be careful. The Garmin software had a strong learning curve that I have passed. I am a novice in the Toyota. My best advice for some one learning the system is use it for everything at first. Go to work use it. Go to the grocery store use it. Check out the options one of the major differences that I see between the Garmin iQue and the Toyota is that the iQue offers no rout choices, Toyota does and the short rout seems to resemble the iQue most closely. My rule one of navigation systems in unfamiliar areas is " It will not give you the best route based on local knowledge but it will get you there.

10. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    iQue vs Garmin

Hdrygas,
    This info all assists in our choice of Nav system. I'll be interested in you later comparison of both. These days there seems to be a number of contenders for mobile nav systems. While the inertial gyro capability of some, for periods when the satellites are not available, seem convenient ,maybe if I don't live in an area of high construction /tunnels I will not need that feature.

11. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: GPS NAV

Well, the 2610 comes with city navigator north america, which as you pointed out, contains detailed data for all of the US, as well as mapping data for major Canadian cities.

You can additionally purchase the Mapsource MetroGuide Canada CD which has detailed street-level information for ALL of Canada (even Whitehorse and Yellowknife).

I got it as a package deal (promotion when the 2610 was brand new), but it costs around $130 cdn for the Canada CD, so it really depends how much you'll be driving to areas that aren't included on the north america citynav map.

You can go to Garmin's website and use their built-in mapview tool to look at the various map packs and see what level of detail is offered in which areas.

Just as a quick FYI - I got my 2610 from gpscentral.ca - I've ordered from them a couple times and they have excellent prices and very fast delivery. I'd recommend them!

Dave

12. Smooth Operator

Re: GPS NAV

If at some point you consider the Magellans, closely examine the mapping. I bought a Meridian with the MapSend Canadian software. Yes, I know it is not a driving GPS, but you would think they would get pretty basic information correct.

Here's a few examples.

They locate Stanley Park (a 1000 acre park) as being one block in size in Vancouver's East Side.

My in-law's address in Vancouver is off by something like 20+ blocks.

My sister's home is well into Sechelt Inlet.

Caveat emptor.

13. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never bought a Magellan - one of their policies regarding memory cards really turned me off their products so I've never looked too closely at them.

When you buy a blank memory card (compact flash for example), you need to use a special "authorization program" to format it with a special serial number for your Magellan GPS unit - First you pay for the memory card, then you pay Magellan again to be able to use the card with your GPS. Highway robbery IMHO.

The 2610 that I use just uses standard compact flash cards - I picked up a 512mb card and loaded the entire west coast of Canada and the US (where I normally drive). Worked great. Apparently with a ~2gb card you can load all of north america.

I've found Garmin's maps to be extremely accurate (maybe a different data provider?)

Dave.

14. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Garmin

Thanks for all the info. I think the 2610 is my choice however the Quest model is interesting. I'm encouraged in the fact that there seems to be a wealth of software for north of 48. We have family all the way from Chicago to southern California so the US driving is well covered. I sail also and see that the marine info can also be installed. Guess this covers my question regarding gps.