1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusnerd, Nov 17, 2004.

1. priusnerd

priusnerd New Member

So I've read more about CD-changers and I keep seeing references to a cable that plugs into the back of the basic head unit to a cd-changer, someone refered to it as a Toyota Module ot Toy-Aux I think. Which allows control of the CD-changer through the LCD. Is this true, and where do you get those? Is it through Toyota only? Has anyone else gotten one?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Toyota branded CD changer sits under the main radio unit, in the cubbly behind the opaque door. When installed it is totally integrated into the Prius. You will control it via the MFD or steering wheel. The box you mention above is for adding an AUX input to the stereo system. There is some debate as to how this module interacts with the factory radio which has the BUILT in CD changer. It seems to work fine with the single CD model. Again if you buy the Toyota branded CD-changer and have the dealer install it you can control it via the touch screen and steering wheel. If you want to add an IPOD or any other audio source to the Prius thats where it get a bit more confusing.

Peter
    Miami, FL USA

3. priusnerd

priusnerd New Member

Thanks for the help. So basically what you are saying is it is at my own risk, :) it may or may not integrate with the LCD and steering wheel. The reason I'm hesitant on getting the Toyota one is because it is so expensive. Plus, I kind of want to install it myself, I like doing stuff like that.

4. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To date there is NO audio option (CD changer or otherwise) that will work with the Prius MFD, other than the Toytota banded one of course. Just getting audio to the stereo has been solved, at least for those without the built in changer. Coastal Dave is coming out (hopefully soon!) with a audio-visual package, see http://www.coastaletech.com for more details. I don't know what his kit will include though...

Peter

5. priusnerd

priusnerd New Member

What does MFD stand for?

6. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Muiti Function Display (aka touch screen)