1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ANOTHER radio question...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by fiosguy, Apr 20, 2011.

1. fiosguy

fiosguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Priuschat. Ok, so don't flame or kill me, I know this is being asked over and over but all I see are some reeeeeal expensive upgrades.

I bought my wife a prius three with no nav package. She does indeed love it, but she would like to have video in the car for the kids. I humbly ask any replies to be kept to this point, I know there are other options but I am looking for some specific help.

I saw my friends prius with nav that plays dvds. That is very sweet. However her prius has the ac controls and right above it the stock radio (the JBL one).

The steering wheel controls are pretty cool. I want to go to a local radio car shop, pick out a nice unit and simply have it installed so she can play video and have nav in the car. Long story why we didn't get one in the first place, let's just skip those comments please :focus:

So, if I don't want to go with Rosen, WHAT is controlled by this factory radio? If I swap it out what do I lose, and how do I keep the factory options? Is there something out there that can use the prius steering wheel buttons? I have read through the forums for like 3 days and saw a few ideas, but I really don't want to remod the entire dash. I just simply want to throw a kenwood or pioneer in there, play video, have navigation (not a requirement, she can use her ipad or something for that) and tie into the car's speakers.

Please be kind and help me out? I have a budget of approx 1k.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Short and sweet go to www.pac-audio.com and www.metraonline.com and plug in your vehicle. These are the guys that supply installers and provide most of the "Magic".

With your JBL amp, the only real issue "used" to be the pre-amp voltage from the new HU, as the JBL amp seems to like 4 volts. You do not have the factory Nav so I believe the swap is easier with the right unit and adapters.

Go to a couple of reputable Car Audio Installers and talk to them. Find out who your Toyota Dealer subs this stuff out to and talk to them as well. Make sure they have done this before and double check references. Do not let them "learn" on your dime.

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If I was doing this on a budget, I'd go with a used Pioneer (older models are cracked - and have many new options due to the community playing with it) - avic411.com (not the latest Z110/120/130) - these things can get map upgrades, do most everything, and can be found for $400 or less... Add in the PAC stuff (JBL interface, steerinG etc), and i'd guess you can get a system in place for $550 or so (and it would be a good one).