1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another red triangle thread...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jabez, Jan 9, 2024.

1. Jabez

Jabez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury

Thanks so much in advance for everybody's expert knowledge on this forum. I sure wish I hadn't had so many issues and needed to get so familiar with the forum, but it's been helpful.

We bought a used 2007 prius about a year ago from a scammy private party seller. It looked like he had swapped some NiMH cells and got the car on the road before the sale but shortly after we bought it a cell failed and I had my mechanic replace the NiMH cells with V2 lithium cells from Nexcell in April. We replaced all the cables, nuts, bus bars, battery ECU (used from eBay, no corrosion on pins), and 12V battery when we did the install.

The red triangle came on a couple days ago and today my mechanic got the P3000, P3019, C1259, and C1310 codes. Right when we opened the voltage readouts, block 9 was an outlier on the voltage reading (maybe .2-.3V lower) but as soon as the gas motor kicked on all the voltages seemed to stabilize. Voltages on the blocks were at highest +/- 0.35 and ranged from 16.2-18 depending on if we were parked or driving. We cleared the codes and they never came back on during a 3-4 mile test drive.

From searching the forum, it sounds like if may not be the brake system, but something in the HV battery system, and that we should get in there and make sure all the connections are solid. Once that is done, do folks have any other leads?? Maybe that battery ECU from eBay should be swapped out for a new one from toyota? I reached out to the good folks at NexCell for some ideas as well.

Hopefully this all makes sense. I tried to attach some screenshots from the scanner but they didn't cooperate.

Thanks again to you all experts.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think a new battery ECU from Toyota will probably break the bank or be quite costly most of my battery people that I know that do this kind of work that own businesses rarely have to replace battery ECU's per se The black label one whatever is pretty stout and generally does its thing I even know guys that clean the corrosion off the pins and it depends aren't damaged as in breaking off usually the HV battery computer seems to do its job. I think one of those codes is the engine failed to start unless the battery the HV battery is extremely low or something I wouldn't think it would cause a no start condition that's usually something to do with the motor firing etc.