1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another SE/SS question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by longshortofit, Mar 17, 2004.

1. longshortofit

longshortofit Junior Member

I am wondering what happens when you have SE/SS and you are sitting in the car with the doors locked and someone comes up on the outside and touches the door handle, do the doors unlock for that person or since you are inside the doors stay locked. I do not have my car yet to test, but wondering about this security concern.

Long & Short of it ~~~_/)_~~~

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They should stay locked. The antenae for the SE are directional to the outside. I guess, if you put your fob right next to the door it's possible it could be sensed and allow the door to unlock, but this is unlikely.

Lots of people seem suspicious of the SE/S, it's probably the most secure system for car entry/starting I've ever seen. It has got to be one of the most difficult to defeat.

3. olends

olends New Member

if i had a car to test for you i would. but i must agree with efusco. but i will add if you are sitting in the car, wont you trigger the ss/se timeout for keeping the fob too close to the car?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting question. I assumed that only affected the SS part of the system, but only b/c it wasn't an issue for opening the doors from the inside. It very well may be that part of the reason the prius quits sensing is to avoid any accidental detection by the outside sensors. Could be an interesting experiment.

5. olends

olends New Member

If someone wants to loan me their car for an extended period of time, i'd be more then happy to test out all these theories.

:lol:

the Poor Student Drools over your car

6. Bill Compton

Bill Compton New Member

I can tell you from experience the door won't open - my wife tried to get into the car tonight while I was in the drivers seat. I do not remember if the vehicle was in park or not but it was running.

7. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One time i left the fob with my wife in the car while i did an errand. The car was left on. When i came back, i thought it would unlock i touched the handle, but it didnt. She had to unlock it from the inside.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Today it was above 30 degrees here and sunny, so I left my jacket in the car when I got out. The fob was in the jacket pocket. The car would not let me lock the door by pressing the button on the door handle.

Clearly, the car knows whether the fob is inside the car or outside.

9. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

I don't have SE/SS (package #3 only), but if the fob is in the ignition, the car will not let you lock the door using the knob on the inside of the car door so you can't lock your keys in the car if they are in the ignition. Nice!