1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another slap in the face.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What a slap in the face to those that FOLLOW THE LAW.

LEGAL workers lose chance at green cards.

"Legal immigrants hoping to be first in line for employer-sponsored green cards lost time and money when the government suddenly announced Monday that no new applications would be taken until the fall, a lawyers group said.

Tens of thousands of people who work in the United States under employment visas and their families were affected by the change said Crystal Williams, associate director for programs at the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

"There are people who flew to the United States so they could apply and had their families fly back. They paid attorney fees," Williams said."

"The State Department announced last month that employment visa numbers were available for all people seeking employer-sponsored green cards, except unskilled workers. It sometimes takes years for applicants to get those numbers.

The announcement meant that as early as Monday, Citizenship and Immigration Services would begin accepting applications. The applications are hefty, requiring medical exams, a lot of documentation and the applicant's presence in the United States."

"But an update on the State Department Web site posted Monday said 60,000 such numbers were no longer available because of "the sudden backlog reduction efforts by Citizenship and Immigration Services offices during the past month."

The department called the backlog reduction an "unexpected action" and said employment visa numbers would be available again Oct. 1."

"The fee to apply for a green card increases July 30 from $395 to $1,010, including a fingerprinting fee."

Right. Sudden backlog. Does this smack of a call from the White House and payback for defeating his immigration bill?

So these people followed the law. They paid the fees, flew in their families, spent all of the money. Now these people have to come back in October. Spend all of the money over again and of course, the fees have more than doubled by then too. I guess this sends the message loud and clear. We don't want skilled workers. But we'll reward undocumented illegals that will pick our fruit.

"No greencards today. THE GREAT OZ HAS SPOKEN."

(Pay no attention to that chimp in the White House.)

2. RinMI

RinMI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not to sound rude; but there is something to be said for the one bad apple concept here. I do have sympathy for the individuals that go through the process legally. I live in Michigan and we have many migrant workers who come here for various harvest times and without them the Michigan growers would not be able to bring their crops to market at a competitive price.

That said, I have a hard time feeling sympathetic for the ones that want to circumvent the rules. Note that the text states "sudden backlog reduction efforts" which to me would say that instead of accepting more applications that they won't be able to even take a look at (which is pretty stupid to begin with), they are attempting to get through the existing applications that they already have and after that they will begin accepting new applications (which seems to be the smarter approach). My only question is that why is the government taking the seemingly smarter approach.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's smarter because it makes them more money. Think about it... we won't accept any applications now because of this "backlog", but feel free to apply later after we've trippled the fee associated with your application.

4. ohershey

ohershey New Member

We Americans are in a sad state of self-denial. We have this image of ourselves as a country who is bias free, who welcome all immigrants into our society. This is, perhaps, because of the fatally flawed history curriculum taught in our schools. Few of us have ever heard of the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. I find the tale of Yung Wing, who's naturalized citizenship was revoked more than forty years after it was granted by the authority of that act to be fascinating. It was not until the Immigration act of 1965, 83 years later, that it's provisions were fully repealed. This act was a symptom of a much greater sentiment of discrimination against the Chinese prevalent at the time - while they were welcomed as cheap, no, nearly slave labor in the mines, railroads, and fields of the day, they were not welcomed as citizens. According to some accounts, part of the reason that the great earthquake and fire of 1906 in San Francisco were so bad was the Mayor's desire to let the flames consume Chinatown. On the opposite coast, the fate of the Irish immigrants during the Potato Famine (approximately 1845-1849) was exploitation and discrimination. As Europeans, the Irish were able to integrate more rapidly, but they faced no less discrimination upon their arrival. Italian immigrants, notably in the period between 1890 and 1920, were stereotyped as violent criminals. In 1891 11 Italian immigrants were lynched in New Orleans for the crime of their ethnicity, and suspicion that they must be involved with the mafia. This stereotype remains with us today.

There is no need to detail the horrors inflicted upon the Africans forced into this country by slavery, and I CERTAINLY don't have enough room here.

All that you have to do is look at the language of American discrimination to see the pattern. At one time or another, people have been called kooks, kikes, chinks, wops, degos, japs, spics, and countless other derogatory terms. Remember that at the time, all of these terms were acceptable.

In my own humble opinion, it is the minority, in overcoming the blind prejudice of the majority, who re-invigorates our society and renews it's social conscience. Today, we are involved in a debate no different than countless others which have already occurred in our past. I say, welcome amnesty. As the Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mung, Irish, German, Dutch, Italian, and all of the others did before them, I feel that the current wave of immigrants, legal and illegal, will only help us.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jul 3 2007, 08:23 AM) [snapback]472197[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly.

I also find it "interesting" that this backlog suddenly arose for the skilled legal applicants after Bush's immigration bull...er....bill failed more than once.

I can't help thinking that the word was passed down. It is perfectly in his character to deny these people who have jumped through every legal hoop their green cards because he couldn't grant amnesty to the illegals. Another Junior tantrum/retribution.

6. RinMI

RinMI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't forget the terms "honkey", "hillbilly" or "queer". Racism, bigotry, prejudice and hatred is a two way street. I think the biggest hurdle any society has to overcome is assimilation. Today, most Americans (people, not politicians) on the whole do try to welcome people from other cultures. Even our so-called more civilized brethren across the pond have struggled with these same issues. Case in point, the riots in France. An excerpt from the NY Times during this time.

"According to statements by Mr. Altun, who remains hospitalized with injuries, a group of ten or so friends had been playing football on a nearby field and were returning home when they saw the police patrol. They all fled in different directions to avoid the lengthy questioning that youths in the housing projects say they often face from the police. They say they are required to present identity papers and can be held as long as four hours at the police station, and sometimes their parents must come before the police will release them." - NY Times

If you were to read this excerpt in any newspaper across this country, you would assume it happened here. Every country struggles with this but I do not remember anything along the scale of what happened in France (10 different cities) happening in America during the last 30 years. I am not saying that America is better but I think that on the whole, America is a little further down the road toward a fully open society than most other countries.