1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another small step to a smaller footprint.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Godiva, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looks like my neighborhood is getting a certified Farmer's Market. While the article talks mostly about food stamps and nutrition for those using them, I see it says it will stock locally grown food. This is the big beef I have with my local large chain grocery stores; You don't know where the food is coming from.

So...looks like I can start to eat seasonally and locally. I hope it's successful.

BTW ate my first tomato of the season yesterday. Delicious. (Okay, I've been snacking on the grape tomatoes because they're only ripening 2-3 at a time.) Still watching my apple ripen. Not yet. Not yet.

2. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This morning there was a agriculture extension agent on TV talking about the ressurgence in farmers markets here in NC. Is this a trend around the US?

Here is my garden update.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Squash in a day or two, tomatoes right after that....squirrel tree frog? monitoring for me.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got some lovely terracotta toad houses in my yard that will never see tenants. The dog will see to that. Besides....I think we're too arid.

Went to the Farmer's Market today. Very disappointed. Only a few booths with produce and mostly oranges, lemons and avocados. I can get oranges and lemons free from my parents. I bought a bag of unripe avocados. There was a booth with native regional plants and I bought a "Sunset" manzanita and some sort of plant that has a flower that looks like a giant white oriental poppy. I have the perfect place for them in the corner of the back yard. I'll plant them right after I repair the fence (and pull the weeds) this summer.

There was a booth with hand made ceramics. One with African ethnic clothing. Several booths with food, African, Filipino, Mexican and some smoothie drinks. Info booths on building and maintaining your own bicycle, natural organic pet food, fresh flowers, community gardens and farmer's markets, healthcare and...food stamps.

There were mariachis and a raffle going on in Spanish.

All in all I was disappointed by the lack of produce, since that is what they were heavily advertising. But it was a good start. We'll see if in the coming weeks the market grows...or peeters out and dies.

I'll go back to get a scarf from the ethnic clothing lady and check out the new native plants.

But looks like I'll have to either grow my own produce or continue to shop at the grocery store.

The farmer's market we had years ago at the bank parking lot has a lot more variety of food and plants and a lot less commercial stuff. I suspect whatever the organizers are charging for merchants to have a booth is keeping the produce vendors away.

Meanwhile in my garden....my apple is getting more of the blush but still not ripe, I have more tomatoes and one of the citrus trees has a little green ball. I'll have to look to see if it's the orange or the tangerine. My goal is to get the rest of the planter cleared of grass, plant the last citrus tree, leave a place for the apricot tree for next year, and then plant more vegetables and herbs. (Something is eating my basil!)

I really need to get a chart of what to plant when. I used to know them by season but don't anymore.

4. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We're very fortunate to have a thriving farmer's market in my town and nearby Sacramento. We also have lots of roadstands, and the farms themselves are nearby that you can just go to them, pay a price to go pick berries, etc. and have at it.

I just heard this morning on NPR that several hundred thousand acres around Fresno won't be farmed this year. That certainly can't be good for the CA economy or the locals there. :(

I wasn't going to do so much with my garden this year, but I think I'm going to plant a few more things before the heat sets in for real. As for my tomatoes, my volunteers are doing better than my bought and planted ones.... And I don't even give them water. Four years in a row, the volunteers have been coming back and just take over (they re-seed themselves because I don't clean up so thoroughly in the fall). I don't mind so much, because they are so hardy, and quite sweet.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm considering going heirloom next year, sending away for seeds rather than just buying whatever the local nursery has. And I'm going to allow a little "reseeding" this year rather than doing a good clean-up in case I can get some volunteers.

I'll continue to check out the Farmer's Market for the next few weeks. If I see some growth, I'll be going at least once a month, more often if they have more produce. If it starts to die, there are others in the city. But the point is not only to buy local, but not have to drive to a farmer's market in some other area of the city. But...I will if I have to.

6. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Our neighboring town in New Mexico cancelled their farmers market "supposedly" due to the high cost of fuel for vendors to get there -----according to local gossip....of course here some people travel 80 miles or more round trip to set up a table....
    Froley