1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Smug Moment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rae Vynn, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I was down to one pip, and decided to put gas in Rudy.

I pull into the station, and there is a classic Jeep, filling up.
    I pull in behind him, and quickly jot down my mileage information (and etc.).
    Get out, get the card reader thingy, do all the stuff I have to... remember to go open the gas fill door...
    Pump my gas...
    It clicks off... I put the nozzle back... Yes, I want a receipt...
    Finally, I get back in my car, put my debit card away, get Rudy started, and, I'm pulling out, just as the Jeep driver FINALLY stops pumping gas.

Now, I use the slowest fill rate, so he was probably, at least, DOUBLE what I put in my tank (9.06 gals)...
    OUCH! That means he spent over $50!

No wonder he gave me one of those looks... you know the one... where you can see the sigh, the regrets, the total longing for your MPG? :D

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nice, Rae.

My wife will no longer let me run over and look at the pump after the SUV drives away.
    Apparently, according to her, the last time I did it and busted out laughing there was a guy filling his SUV and he did not seem to recognize the humor.

So now I get gas without her. :lol:

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Oct 11 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]524340[/snapback]</div>
    Damn. By NOT going to the gas station with the EV, I miss those great looks completely!

When I DO go in for one of my semi-annual Prius fillups, I do it in the dead of night so none of the neighbors see me.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 11 2007, 09:01 PM) [snapback]524360[/snapback]</div>
    You need to pull in once in a while just grab a Coke and lean on your car while you drink it and watch those antique cars gassing up!

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 11 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]524360[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 11 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]524364[/snapback]</div>
    Darellllllllllllllldddddddddddddddddddd....we ALL know you are smugger than smug! Take Doc Fusco's advice! That's how the rest of us get our jollies! :p

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha.. reminds me of my last fill up. There was an Altima opposite me. When I started pumping, he was 17 litres ahead of me. I pumped about 30 litres and got my receipt before he was done. (well, he was done when I got into the car)... He pumped about 50 litres which is not quite empty (I think the Altima has a 65 or 70 litre tank).

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm the only guy at the petrol station who is smiling going in to pay and coming out. My smile widens if a 4 wheel drive driver is looking as I get in my Prius.

8. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's interesting to read these types of posts because I live in NJ, where it's illegal to pump your own gas.

With that said, yes, I have gotten plenty of questions, glances, stares, etc. from gas attendants.

9. Rick12Player

Rick12Player Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As a noob, I've only had to fill up three times, but I'm totally getting those feelings too. Neat stuff. I'm going to start running over to pumps after SUV's leave, and laugh! That is awesome!

10. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't wait for them to leave, do it while they are still filling, it's even more fun!!!

11. Rick12Player

Rick12Player Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 12 2007, 09:47 AM) [snapback]524567[/snapback]</div>
    Cool - will do. Hey Adelaide? Do you ever run into Ben Folds? :)

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 11 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]524364[/snapback]</div>
    Most fun I ever had was when gas reached the peak around here of about $4. I pulled into my local station and tried to get my EV in a good position to take pictures of my car in front of the price signs. Since I had to drive around the pumps a few times to get lined up just right, I had EVERYBODY looking at me by the time I got into a good position. And when I did... I was blocking somebody else, so had to move. :( Never did get that picture. Would have been nice to have. The good news? I'll probably have that chance again. Or maybe I'll wait for $5.

13. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Last time somebody talked to me at the pumps he told me "You probably don't come here too often", I told him "I just got 9 gallons and went over 500 miles, lately I average 57 mpg". He looked like he didn't believe me. I'll have to start lying... "I got 9 gallons and went over 400 miles" so they believe me! :D

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Im just guessing Darell might have been one of those who would pull into a full service station in an EV and ask the guy to check the oil and filler up..... LOL

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Oct 15 2007, 08:43 AM) [snapback]525855[/snapback]</div>
    Makes a better impression when I pull up to the gas pumps next to the biggest SUV I can find, get out, obnoxoiusly look all around the car for the fuel filler door. I then smack myself on the forehead and exclaim loudly, "Oh crap, I forgot again. This car doesn't burn any gasoline."

16. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've yet to experience a smug moment at the pump. In fact, I always feel a little guilty when I stop at a gas station. I would prefer not having to go there at all.

17. ELZBETHKW

ELZBETHKW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Oct 11 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]524340[/snapback]</div>
    That was me, until last week when I traded in my 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport with 33,500 miles, for my 'new' 2004 Prius with 37,775 miles. I live on a 2 x 4 island & drive maybe 1 1/4 miles to work, so I only put 570 miles on the jeep since I bought it April 1. But every fill up - twice a month, cost over $50, so I said enough!! Filled the Prius today, it took about 6 1/2 gals (and only about $20 at $3.09 per). I can't wait to see how far & long this $20 is going to take me. I try not to be smug, because I was there once myself ;)

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I had a full EV I think I would make a point of pulling into the fuel station each week on the busiest day and wash my windscreen then leave.

19. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The funny thing is this: I don't even know the price of gas right now. I don't drive many miles, and I haven't bought gas since September. Still, I go to a gas station every other day to buy a bottle of soda. Just yesterday I pulled in next to another Prius. He was getting something to munch on -- no gas. We just looked at each other with kind of awkward smiles and drove away.

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 11 2007, 09:01 PM) [snapback]524360[/snapback]</div>
    Why don't you go there to just put air in the tires and clean the windshield? And maybe buy one of those cardboard pine tree air fresheners?