1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

another speeder gets what he deserves

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Jan 18, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't know if it's the same everywhere but the perception here is that a Prius is slow so you have to get around them or <gasp!> you'll have to go slow too! AIIEEEEE! Anyway, I was a few miles from home, in to the home stretch as it were. The speed limit is 35 so I'm doing 35 in the left lane of my side (four through lanes with a central left turn lane). Back behind me a ways was a vehicle that had been driving behind me for at least a few miles. Up ahead a mile or so is a popular right turn on to a major road and there's always jockeying by those making that turn to be in front so that they are unhindered by <gasp!> someone going slower AIEEEEE!. Bad news. The vehicle behind me was in the right lane and perhaps he was worried that I might change lanes soon and ruin his glide path to a higher speed zone so he accelerates past me at, I'm guessing, 45 to 50 mph. He races past me and gets about as far ahead of me as he was behind me just moments earlier. I'd say the distance was eight car lengths or so. Safely ahead of a slower car, he slows down but he's a little late in noticing the black stealth police car on a side street checking for speeders with his radar gun. This kind of patrol car is hated by speeders because it has nothing on its exterior that reflects light the way a regularly marked patrol car has. Those police emblems can be seen at night miles away with even weak headlights and this one didn't even have any chrome so it really disappears in to the darkness.

The police officer waits for me to pass. Even though I'm in the far lane and he'll be turning in to the near lane, he knows the law. With more than one lane for each direction, no matter which lane an oncoming car is in, he still has the right of way and you have to wait for him to pass by. This is a rule that is often ignored or unknown to a lot of drivers. The police car moves in behind the speeder (a small white pickup truck). The speeder knows that the patrol car is behind him so he's suddenly on his best behavior. He doesn't turn right to get on the main road and continues to the next light where a larger truck is already stopped since the light is red. I end up first in the left lane so now the speeder has the uncomfortable position of being once again behind the car he passed so quickly, stuck at a red light behind a large truck and a police car about to pull him over right behind. :lol: Sure enough, when the light turns green and the large truck and I head off on our way, the patrol car christmas light display (or ET display) blazes on and mr speeder is on his way to having a perfect day ruined.

The moral of the story is: Don't pass the Prius. B)

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YES! I am glad he got pulled over. These things happen to me all the time, on the road, on the highway... I usually drive exactly at the speed limit, and people pass me all the time. It's embarrasing when million-wheeler trucks pass me to get ahead (Ok, this only happened in Canada where I didn't see any signs for speed limit differences between regular vehicles and trucks). Still...

Question: You are on a single lane road with no passing for the next few miles. You are driving at the speed limit (or a few miles faster). A vehicle is behind you (mostly SUV's). You can feel the restlessness of him/her trying to get you to speed. What do you do?

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    glad to hear your story. now if cops had the resources to emphasize traffic control, maybe everyone would learn to drive sensibly. here in an area that has 3 small cities next to each other, we have a total population of over 150,000 in the state capital. for the 4 major police departments, there is only one (Lacey) city cop on traffic control and that is only part time, and 2-3 county cops, also part time. so getting pulled over is not likely unless you are stupid enough to drive by the regular "speed traps" which dont trap many since the cop cars sit out in plain sight where you can see them several blocks ahead.

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Jan 18 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]377178[/snapback]</div>
    Slow down a little more by one or two miles per hour. Speeding up only makes him think that he can intimidate you and will do it even more. Make sure that you're driving at or below the speed limit. Don't react at all. Don't make eye contact, just ignore him. I know that it's difficult at times but if he thinks that he can intimidate you, you'll never go fast enough that there'll be more distance between you. He'll go faster and faster and get start to have fun with you. He'll be wherever he was going, high-fiving his buddies about how he made a little jap car driver pay for getting in his royal highness's way. F**k 'em. If he starts getting aggressive, call 911 about a road rager.

5. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 18 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]377191[/snapback]</div>

Thanks!

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Jan 18 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]377178[/snapback]</div>
    Keep driving. I take a road like this about half the time in my commute, and even though I'm doing 60 to 65 in a 55 zone there is invariably someone wanting to go 70. If they are tailgating and creating an unsafe situation, slow down to the speed limit, or just tap the brakes ever now and then. There are enough deer this year that speeding more is really a bad idea, especially around dawn and dusk which are my main commuting times. Not to mention that little matter of that 67 in a 55 that I'm trying to avoid repeating.

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 18 2007, 06:24 AM) [snapback]377191[/snapback]</div>
    If a dog is growling at me I'm not going to poke it in the nose. Pick your battles wisely. Good luck.

8. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jan 18 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]377202[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

:lol: (It's still funny)

9. jtullos

jtullos New Member

I actually had a similar situation recently. We've got one stretch of road that changes from 50 mph to 70 mph, and everyone likes to go way over in both. While gaining speed and passing someone else switching to the 70 zone, somebody decides to come right up on me and fly past me once I'm back in the right lane. Of course, they didn't notice the highway patrol car waiting a little farther ahead as they're still accelerating. I find it extremely gratifying when that happens, especially since we have far too few highway patrol officers here.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    on a multi-lane highway, i dont care if its bumper to bumper traffic, i will not speed up for anything. i dont care if people pass me left and right. i never drive under the speed limit if conditions are good, but i almost as rarely exceed the speed limit by more than a few mph. (sure sometimes, plans dont go as expected so i have been in situations where i had to make up time on the freeway but that is rare. around here, you MUST plan to be held up by traffic at least a little) so if anyone starts tailgating me, i simply slow down bit by bit until they get the hint or pass. it usually doesnt take long

11. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Another view (actually the recommended approach):

:angry: This is the guy behind you. Don't aggravate him further. Road rage is becoming rather common these days. The recommended approach to handling this situation is not to slow down, not to tap on your brakes, not to continue in the fast lane at exactly the speed limit, but pulling over to the right to let that extreme A type pass by. In other words, we don't want that dangerously angry fellow to get angrier yet. The biggest favor we can do for our fellow law abiding drivers is to not aggravate those impatient, quick to anger drivers who are unfortunately always there with us whether we like it or not.

12. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Jan 18 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]377178[/snapback]</div>
    Do like my sister did back in the day when she first got her license: go the speed limit, don't let them intimidate you. before you know it, the jerk will be pulled over for speeding in a school zone, following too closely, and reckless endangerment - three strikes in one violation = mandatory court appearance.

She wise chose not to say anything to him the next day in class :lol:

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken Cooper @ Jan 18 2007, 09:03 AM) [snapback]377221[/snapback]</div>
    Ken, i can t tell you how much i envy you and the considerate drivers in your area. when i am going the speed limit, i am nearly always in the far right lane anyway and that fact simply does not matter here.

14. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken Cooper @ Jan 18 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]377221[/snapback]</div>
    No way will I pull off the side of the road, then re-enter. That's an accident waiting to happen.

I simply would keep driving the way I am. That's it.

I do admit, though, that if someone is right up on my nice person (where I can count their nosehairs in my rearview mirror) I do slow down. I don't do it to enrage; I do it for safety. If I have to make sudden stop, I want the tailgater to be able to make it, too.

15. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken Cooper @ Jan 18 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]377221[/snapback]</div>
    The question was about being on a single lane road, not in the fast lane of a multilane road. If you are doing the speed limit in the fast lane, then I have no sympathy for you. After all, the government spent a lot of money on those 'slower traffic keep right' signs. Good advice though, if someone is truly showing nut job behavior, then pulling off is the smart move.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the OP states FOUR LANES. iow, there is not an excuse in hell for the actions of the ticketed driver and that is why i applaud his getting a ticket

17. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 18 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]377231[/snapback]</div>
    Another thread highjacked sheesh :rolleyes:

18. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 18 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]377235[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry. Tailgaters on a single lane road are a pet peeve, as are folks doing the speed limit in the left hand lane of the "four lane." And someone did ask: You are on a single lane road with no passing for the next few miles. You are driving at the speed limit (or a few miles faster). A vehicle is behind you (mostly SUV's). You can feel the restlessness of him/her trying to get you to speed. What do you do?

19. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 18 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]377235[/snapback]</div>
    I usually just try to get out of the way if possible. While this situation turned out optimally with justice served, it could also turn out badly had there been no cop and the driver been crazy. You can be in the "right", but would it be worth an accident to be in the "right"?

20. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 18 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]377258[/snapback]</div>
    An accident or even worse:

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/465649.html

GASTON - An 11-year-old boy died Friday afternoon, a day after he was shot trying to pull his mother away from a gunman who confronted the family in a road-rage argument.