1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another tire(ing) story

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cortakajake, Jul 9, 2006.

1. cortakajake

cortakajake New Member

I commute 200 miles a day. Just replaced the original Integras with 35,000 on them. Tread completely gone on outer edge. I take the car in to the dealer every 5,000 miles and they have rotated them every time and checked alignment at least 3 times. So these OEM's seem pretty low grade to me. Just purchased the Goodyear All Weather Handlers at Sears. Very nice smooth ride with a noticeable and positive difference in handling and turning. I live in PA, so when the snow comes, that will be the big test.

2. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cortakajake @ Jul 9 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]283494[/snapback]</div>
    I don't like the Integras, so I'm not spending any money on rotating them. I can't bring myself to buy new tires when there are perfectly serviceable ones on the car (seems extremely wasteful). I'm coming up on 10,000 miles, and I haven't seen any unusual wear. I may rotate them myself at 15,000 miles.

At the cost here in SoCal that the dealer wants to rotate tires, $15, I'll save enough to buy one of the tires when I hit 30,000 miles.

3. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The GY Integrity is good for one thing, and one thing only, and that is to save the car maker money. It is otherwise mediocre to poor in every respect. I took them off before 1000 miles on both of the Toyotas that had them as OEM; in both cases the replacements were Michelins that were dramatic improvements in every way.

Making them last is purely an economic decision; for me, the economics were never the issue - I couldn't go 30k miles with them on the car when I know how much better it feels with something decent for shoes.

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

My 'default' prius tires have 17,000 miles on them, and I guess I don't know what I'm missing, they seem fine. I don't see much wear at all, or the wear has been even enough that it's hard to tell. At 17k, they are not looking worn out because of being super cheapo's or something.

Yesterday I was going about 65mph on the tollway when I came upon a place where the cars and semis were busy grinding up some left over 2x4's in the road. Shards and chunks of wood were flying at me and going under... I was happily surprised that I didn't lose a tire (or 4) in that episode.

I rotated them myself at 10,000 miles, will do again at 20k and 30k I guess. It's not that hard, takes about 20 minutes and I use the manual tire iron. (not an air gun or something fancy).