1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Antenna amp and the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rrolff, Apr 20, 2010.

1. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just installed a Pioneer Z110, and it seems the radio receptions is very poor - does anyone know about the actual wiring to the antenna amp? The antenna has a gray wire that runs its length. I'm hesitant to out 12VDC on a random wire...

TIA!

Rolf

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As an update - clearly there is something going on - no AM reception, and really bad FM (comparable to old stock HU).

If anyone has a clear idea, please feel free.

I know many have alluded to a wire that must be connected to add power. My old Chinese thing may have been pre-wired...

TIA!

3. ABL

ABL Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Roff,
    Can't really understan reception problem especially in so cal. Should work just fine
    with the Pioneer. Hell a coat hanger would probally work.
    Best Regards,
    Jim

4. ABL

ABL Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just seen your latest post. Looks like your HU is at fault or your antenna is not fully connectrd.
    Jim

5. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Rolf,

There was an earlier post warning people about the power to the antenna amplifier. The guy said that the radio has a pin marked "Power Antenna" that mates with the pin that goes to the antenna amplifier.

As you might guess, it's not a power antenna back there, but rather an antenna that needs power! Hence, the transient 12 V from the radio to that pin isn't going to power the antenna. You need to find a source of 12V that's on when the radio is on and off when the radio is off.

I think.

Good luck!

KBeck.

1 person likes this.
  6. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't know there is an amp for the antenna. I had same issue as you with my x910bt with decent FM reception but no AM. I thought I forgot to connect the antenna to the HU and was too lazy to open things up again. I'd like to find out which pin to power up the amp.

7. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is likely my issue - thanks - seems it should be better spelled out.

I'll post my obseervations...

8. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This should almost be a sticky - confirmed... You connect the 'power antenna' blue wires, and all gets good... Haven't really tested it other than garage - but it is dramatic.

So much so - I think the Chinese thing I bought didn't have the connection - and they later added it (since I forced the issue).

Funny part of this install - in the past, I paid very good attention to all connections. The Chinese thing I bought for my last 2010 just plugged in - no steering PAC interfaces, no other wires, no patching wires. Plug and play.

It gives you an appreciation for the effort they did to make it work. Even steering buttons were software programmable - you pressed the button, and associated it to whatever function......

So USE THE POWER ANTENNA wires!

I'm old school - form a time power antenna meant you powered an antenna that went up, then down when car was off........

9. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be the L36 2-pin connector behind the radio, bundled together with the coax antenna cable. The L36 PIN2 is 12V power for the antenna amp.

10. mrjeff

mrjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This was a post by fairfieldwizard in another thread.

I also did not have any AM reception before connecting the blue wires. However, I'm still finding reception to be spotty at some locations. I haven't had a chance to pull my unit but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who can add to fairfieldwizard says....

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have to agree with your observations. The Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT does not get much better reception to the stock HU - this after connecting the amp.

It is better - but nothing like my old radio...

12. fairfieldwizard

fairfieldwizard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey there,
    In addition to making sure the amp is powered up, I also learned that the antenna connector that is plugged into the radio often has some cr*p on it preventing a good connection. Plug that puppy in and give it a couple of twists left and right about half-way to make sure you have a good connection.

13. mblue99

mblue99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am struggling with the 12V for the power antenna. I would assume that it is pin 13 of the 20pin harness that hooked to the radio, but the quote above seems to indicate another 20 pin harness somewhere. Can anyone confirm which 20 pin harness (and tan wire)? I am trying to connect avix-x920bt in my prius IV and that is the only connection I am not sure about.

14. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The wiring kit that you buy will plug into the existing Toyota harness - it is clearly labeled on the kit. Just connect the 'power ant' wire on the Pioneer - to the corresponding wire on the harness (again - it's labeled on the package - so you can't miss it).

15. mblue99

mblue99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looked at the TATO connection to pin 13 on the 20 pin connector. It appears there is a connection, so I left the blue/white remote wire untouched. FM reception is better than stock JBL, but I have not tried AM. Great FM reception makes me believe that the TATO is providing the power to the antenna amp. Will install XM and rear camera when they arrive, so I will have an opportunity to revisit. Thanks again to rrolff and green curry expert for making the install do-able.

16. rockyroll

rockyroll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am puzzled after reading about pin 13 with a beige wire.

Initially, prior to reading this forum, I connected the Pioneer remote wire to the blue colored power antenna wire on Metra harness. I thought it was logical after reading Pioneer's and Metra's instructions. After I made such connection, however the FM reception was still worse when compared to Prius OEM FM performance (or compared to my other Pioneer's installs that I done on other cars).
    Then, unsatisfied with the poor FM reception (I haven't tried AM as I never listen to it), I came across this forum to hopefully solve the issue. But I am getting puzzled. I opened the console and examine the connectors:
    a. I see no beige colored wire (or tan colored) on the 20-pin connector L40. There is however a blue colored wire on pin #13, if I count pins from the wire side view). There is no wire connected if I count pin #13 from the pin-side view. The troubleshooting.pdf mentions "front view" to count the pins, but this sounds ambiguous to me.
    b. There is also a similar but not exact connector to L34 (as illustrated in the forum attached troubleshooting.pdf). The connector in my car has 12 pins, while the one in the pdf has 10 pins (could it be an older rev?). Currently this connector is not attached to any equipment in my car
    c. The 2 pin on connector L36 has the left pin #2 removed. There's only one wire connected to pin #1.

I have a 3 month old Prius package 2. I am hoping that the blue wire is a newer rev of beige color wire that others mentioned. I’d really like to improve the poor performance of my current FM. But I hesitate providing +12V to unknown purpose wire

Should I connect the blue colored wire (presumably) connected to pin#13? Any other ideas how to amplify the factory antenna?

Thanks. I will add pics If I am allowed to.

17. epete

epete Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Power Antenna Conductor is not on teh 20 Pin Connector. The 20 Pin Connector is the one that is used for your srteering wheel remote interface.

If you purrchased the Metra wiring harness, it comes with two connectors. A large one and a small one.

Metra 70-1761 Wiring Harness

- Metra Electronics - Products

- The Large Connector has the Power, Ignition, Ground, Power Antenna*, Amp Turn on, Amp Gnd, Dimmer, Phone Mute, Right Front, Left Front.

- The small connector has Right Rear, Left Rear, Illumination.

Hopefully that will answer your question.

18. rockyroll

rockyroll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the answer. I actually use the same Metra harness, and connecting 12V to the power antenna pin on the Metra unfortunately does not bring acceptable FM performance. It is considerably worse than it used to be with OEM unit. I believe Metra's power-on wire may work on other Toyota's but in case of Prius, the antenna is not getting amplified. At least on my Prius with basic package 2.
    Several people posted that the actual antenna amplifier pin is on left pin of 2-pin L36 connector, pin #13 of 20-pin L40 connector or on pin#8 of 10-pin L34 connector. (page 4 of the Toyota radio troubleshooting manual.pdf decribes these). The problem is that my L36 does not contain pin#1 (it is plain plastic, no metal pin there), I can not find L34 connector whatsoever, and I just verified that there's no wire attached to pin#13 on 20pin L40 connector (the pins are actually numbered on the connector).
    I actually do not use PAC TATO (this I think only applies to those who had JBL)

Am I missing something? Any advice how to make antenna amplification work is appreciated.

19. epete

epete Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK. I have the Gen III Model II and am connecting the Power Antenna Lead from my Kenwood to the Blue wire on the Metra connector that is labeled Power Antenna. I seem to be able to get the same if not slightly better reception using this lead. I would try and use this wire as I am sure it is the correct one and is working for me.

What is the source of the 12V you are connecting to this lead? Is it a power Antenna lead on your head unit or soem other source? Can you measure with a voltmeter?

Also, make sure you are using the correct pin. You mentioned earlier about counting the pins from the wired side. I know the documentation that Metra provides on teh ASWC shows the pins from the connector side, not the wire side.

8215 Shell (20 pin connector) Wiring Instructions: http://documents.victorytechnologies...icle/10957.pdf