1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anti-skid stops wheels completely?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ClevelandRocks, Feb 22, 2013.

1. ClevelandRocks

ClevelandRocks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Had a disturbing experience today. Roads were very icy this morning and I turned 90 degrees onto an old street that was paved with brick. This road was a pretty steep incline and as I tried to drive up the hill, my car began to slow and the anti-skid light came on. I knew the hill was icy but as I neared the top of the hill, the car slowed to a stop. Pushing on the accelerator did nothing (no engine revs, no sound) as the light stayed lit and I began to slide backwards down the hill. Fortunately, it was a small side street in an industrial area with little traffic. I was able to get the car turned around, after bouncing off a couple of curbs, and headed back down the hill. I didn't know the anti-skid feature would completely cut off the acceleration.

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There were two differing systems in play there.

When your tires slip/slide (like going around corners and when braking on ice/snow), the stability control system comes in with brakes at whatever corner is required to keep you on the straight and narrow.

When you try to accellerate and your drive tires begin to slip, the traction control system comes in and keeps your tires from spinning. Unfortunately, this often ceases any forward motion. Snow tires can help if there is any traction to be had.

I just realized your car is not a C. I don't know if your car has the samel stability control thing going on. The traction control thing, your has.

3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's not been my experience with my 2011 Gen III. The Gen II's are notorious for this but I've not experienced it.

4. ClevelandRocks

ClevelandRocks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Didn't have any problem turning the corner. Just realized how icy the road was as I tried to climb the hill. I was hoping I would reach the top of the hill before all forward motion ceased. Made it about 80% of the way up the hill before it stopped and started sliding backwards. First time I've experienced it as well. With any luck, the last time. Now, at least, I know how the car reacts on ice. There is no revving the engine/spinning your wheels at 60mph to get up an icy incline with this car.

5. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You can thank the Safety Nazis for that one.

ClevelandRocks likes this.
  6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [previous comment no longer relevant as I'm now ignoring this poster]

7. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Does it have to be a federal reg to be a product of Safety Nazis?

[​IMG]

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not a "safety nazi" thing. The car is protecting its own transmission from over-revving. Either avoid icy hills or get a good running start at them. Studded tires would help but might be illegal where you are.