1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anti-theft turn on for Package 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stock, Oct 8, 2008.

1. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Is there anyway to turn on the Toyota Prius anti-theft system without charge (for those who don't have it like Package 2)? If yes, how? If no, what are people paying for it?

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    did you try taking the car to the dealership that sold you the car to see if they will turn it on for you? maybe you can ask a couple service advisors to see if they are willing to do it? some toyota dealers will give you 1 free software configuration change the first year

suggestion 1
    drive the car to the service lanes, let them put the paper number on your rear view mirror, let them put the paper to protect
    your carpet, wait with the car, when the service advisor comes, ask him for one complimentary service, maybe show him
    the contract saying you bought it there, if they want to keep you as a future customer, they should do it for you for free.
    if they don't then try another dealer. don't let them write up any thing and drive off

suggestion 2
    buy the glass breakage sensor from thier parts department (prefered) or priuschat.com or elsewhere, install it yourself, then do suggestion 1
    maybe they will turn on both for free!

3. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Nice ideas, rigormortis. Maybe couple the complimentary request with some routine oil service, so they still get some biz.

At purchase time, they were trying to sell the anti-theft to me for $700 and after repeated nyets, they lowered it to $400, which I still refused.

Any real difference between their anti-theft versus the window sensor? Wouldn't the regular anti-theft detect a window smash with accompanying shaking movement of car?

4. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i think getting the alarn + window sensor would be about 400 msrp, so the price drop was fair! heh

nah you can turn on the anti theft without having the window sensor installed. its just like a minor setting change.

shaking won't set it off. it only goes off if doors or opened or someone breaks that window or makes a loud noise, thats optional

the thing i don't like if someone uses a mechanical key or jimmies the mechanical key slot, it won't go off!

once its turned on, you can set it to go off anytime a door is open even if the doors are unlocked, or set it to
    only arm itself when you lock the doors

watch out for some dealers who want to install some other alarm system that makes you carry around a second set of remotes, thats stupid , or the actual vip toyota alarm module in the trunk, heh

5. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks. I'm a little not clear on What does the window sensor do that the regular anti-theft does not?

6. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the window sensor will beep a tone 'stay away' if you tap on it? or sound the alarm if someone breaks it.
    its basically a microphone that is mounted in that area below the stereo in front of the center console.
    and theres a volume knob on it

with just the alarm enabled..

someone has to break the window and reach over to open the door for it to sound the alarm, or open any of other doors or hood
    .. or in "passive" mode just open a door (locked or not)

no dealer will give you the window sensor for free.. its a $130 something dollar part.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The window sensor detects glass breakage. The regular anti-theft does not.

Tom

8. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    OK, so the regular alarm depends on the door, and will not detect a pure window break in. Right?

9. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yes

but keep in mind, if someone picks or punches the mechanical key slot to open the drivers side door or uses a copy of your metal key, it won't go off, that is a major bummer i think

if someone slim jims it, then it will go off

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    That is correct. And it's an alarm, not an anti-theft system.
    Thieves can still take your car, alarm blaring, with an alarm.

ALL Prius have the anti-theft system, and it's enabled. It requires the FOB to either be plugged in (non-SKS) or in the car (SKS) to get to "ready". In this case, the thief can still take your car, but he/she will need to tow it (front wheels off the ground).

To make it clearer, you can have:

1. Stock anti-theft system. All Prius have this enabled from the factory. You can't get to "ready" without the FOB.

2. Above PLUS alarm system enabled. If you open a door, hatch, or hood, the horn will sound and the lights will flash for awhile. This can be set to auto set or manually set.

3. Above PLUS glass breakage sensor. If glass is broken the horn will sound and the lights will flash for awhile.

4. Aftermarket stuff, such as LoJack, fancy alarms, etc.

5. Gwido, my uncle. He sticks around the car and shoots anyone messing with it. ;)

11. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah, the stock anti theft system does make it harder for someone to steal it....

if you can get the stock alarm enabled for free who cares if its necessary or not

the reason to get the alarm system enabled is it seems to me that prius hyrbrids are more suspectible to smash and grabs of your contents or vandalism and not actual theft of the car.

12. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The stickers are more a deterrent than the system itself?

13. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i think the extra security layer that the alarm system adds is well worth the $0 you will probably have to spend it have it turned on.