1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Antilocking brakes locking?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by johnmaci, Apr 12, 2011.

1. johnmaci

johnmaci Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had my 2011 model III for a month, and today I had to brake rather abruptly. I heard my tires squeal! :eek: Is this normal?
    I have owned at least two other vehicles with ABS, and I recall the pulsing of the pedal, but not tire squeal. Anyone else seen this?

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Antilock brakes create rapid pulses during braking that allow steering. They do not prevent tires from squealing that will occur during maximum brakinig, regardless of the pulses.

1 person likes this.
  3. crash0099

crash0099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Other cars don't use low resistance tires. Low resistance tires are narrower and the compound may be harder type of rubber, both of these will make a tire easier to slide instead of grip. You can go to a little bit wider and softer compound which will cause better braking, better steering response, but it will cause worse gas mileage.

You buy the Prius for better gas mileage so changing to those tires will make that null and void. The only thing left is to change your driving style. Make a conscious effort to not follow as closely, drive a little slower and above all else drive with more patience because by giving more room people will jump in front. So be oblivious to them, don't worry about people going around you and don't let ROAD RAGE set in.

A lot of people don't realize that buying a Prius means having to alter the way you drive. They think they can drive the same way and get great gas mileage, but it just doesn't work that way. I know because I was (and kind of still am) one of those idiots. In my sports car I used to scare the crap out of my girl friend by speeding, weaving in and out of traffic and getting on the brakes hard. I just recently received my Prius and already I am driving her crazy by going slower. She keeps telling me "Are we going to get there today?" and "Can you go a little fassssster?" and my favorite "You just got passed by a person in a wheelchair!!!". So Think about this and make your decision, but just remember a car is just a way to get from point "A" to point "B" and take care and have fun and most of all be safe.

Craig

4. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't have to drive like a granny to get good gas mileage you just have to drive smarter...gliding to lights and minimizing braking is far more important than speed IMO.

Of course I average around 48 during the summer but I am happy with that.

When the stupid Elantra pulled out in front of me on NYE and then stopped my car slid into it, it was a very dirty road though and had little time to lock-unlock.