1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any aftermarket SWC + HU's with phone control?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MrPete, Dec 11, 2011.

1. MrPete

MrPete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've just finished upgrading my Gen III level 2 with Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control (SWC), and Sony 660BT head unit. (I've also tested the Alpine W404 with BT adapter...)

At this point, I'm a bit frustrated. The ASWC supports phone on/off-hook signals... but neither of these head units do.

Specific steering wheel button support information is well nigh impossible to find. (So I've begun a Prius Wiki page where people can enter their info.)

But here's the question for this thread: does anyone know of aftermarket solutions that do support BT phone steering wheel buttons?

Thanks much! It's not too late for me to trade in what I bought if necessary.

2. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might call Metra. I called them a few months ago and they're helpful. What are you looking for? Voice command isn't found on many HUs. I think most HU will let you use your steering wheel button to answer a call.

The Advent unit supports BT including using the capabilities of your smart phone to voice dial. I think the Pioneer units best uses the steering wheel buttons. Kenwood and Sony should also let you use the on hook/ off hook buttons.

Make sure the firmware on your ASWC is the most recent, double check your installation against the Prius specific directions then call Metra.

edited to add--Not many aftermarket units have the push to talk/voice recognition command offered by factory BT. Advent, with a compatible smart phone and Pioneer might be your best bet.

A couple of posters installed the more expensive SONY unit. Maybe send them a PM and ask them how the steering wheel controls work with BT.

3. MrPete

MrPete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe I have old firmware. Thanks for the heads-up... will check that out.ll

4. MrPete

MrPete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to Metra, they have only been able to test the Pioneer units. Nobody documents steering wheel control support :(

QUESTION: Are you saying the Advent unit supports steering wheel control of BT phone calls (off/onhook), or simply that it supports BT phones?

It is true that most head units support BT. I don't yet see enough information to sense whether many HU's support BT phone steering wheel controls. Hopefully we can work as a community to develop that knowledge.

5. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Information regarding Advent unit.

I hope this helps.

I think many (most?) HU support off hook (call pickup) via steering wheel control. Sounds like you're looking for steering wheel controls for outgoing calls as well.

edited to add I think the community is interested in cheap HUs with navigation. I don't think very many posters care about how much BT control is available via the steering wheel.

Again call pickup seems to be well supported. Push to talk (via voice commands) support is limited.