1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Browncoats Here?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by naterprius, Apr 27, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are you a browncoat? Tally in here! I spotted at least one member with an Avatar! I for one CANNOT get enough. I also have a major crush on Kaylee.

Man, I wish they would bring it back. Possibly the greatest of all time.

Give me your favorite quote!

Here's mine:

"Everything's shiny, cap'n!"

Nate

2. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if I really count because I couldn't get into it when it was first running. I usually have trouble remembering anything that airs on a Friday night. I knew that it would be something that I liked but I first caught it midseason and didn't understand what was going on. I bought the boxed set as soon as it came out and watched them all. The movie was a really good followup but I don't think it did well enougfh for a sequel. As far as characters to have a crush on, mine would be Inara followed by Kaylee.

3. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Zoe: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?
    Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

One of the greatest shows!

(and that's from a trekie :D )

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Kaylee: Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!
    Mal: Oh, God! I can't *know* that!
    Jayne: I could stand to hear a little more.

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Still have the originally aired eps on the TiVo, besides the boxed set, saw the movie in theatre, and so on. Was at the panel at the International Comic Con last year to see everybody in person when they were promoing the movie prerelease. Too bad it's about as dead as cause as Farscape. At least that lives on in FarGate.

I have a undead female warlock Kayliee on World of Warcraft to honor the cutest.

6. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Zoe: "Planet's coming up a mite fast."
    Wash: "That's just cause I'm going down too quick. Likely crash and kill us all."
    Mal: "Well, that happens, let me know."

And, as must be said in any remotely relevant thread on any forum ever... FOX SUCKS!

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My GF is a complete fanatic (maybe because her name is Reynolds?).

We were startled to realize that Whedon also wrote Alien 4.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just about hurt myself laughing when Mal first met Kaylee and she starts out "When I was down there on my back earlier..."

Nate

9. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Oh, Big time fan. Actually contributed to my decision to start learning Chinese.

Just can't believe what happened to Wash and Book.

10. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

big Whedon fan, but didn't own a TV when it first came out, and have since refused to watch it because I just know I'll be sad when I reach the end. I read enough fanfiction, I don't need to follow another series =)

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mal: "If someone tries to kill you, well you just kill'em right back."

Only the good die young. Sigh :(

Wildkow

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gosh... sure sound like fun, but I have NO clue what you're talking about. Google hasn't helped me with the few hints given in this thread. Fox. Browncoats? Zero. What up?

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Google "Browncoats". Click the first link. Enjoy.

Nate

14. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 28 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]246854[/snapback]</div>
    Not to long ago, in a gal-- oh, wait, no, in this galaxy... Anyway... there once was a TV show called Firefly. This show aired on a TV network known as FOX. The show wasn't advertised much and aired at a lousy timeslot, being preempted by sports. Even so, the show formed a good sized group of fans, who called themselves the Browncoats. The executives at FOX, however, did not see things the same way, and canceled the show before it could really get going. Only 12 episodes were aired.

Now, the story should end there. But it doesn't. The Browncoats tried, and tried, and tried to save their show. But FOX would not listen. However, a movie company by the name of Universal did, and this little show that never was got a second chance at life, as a motion picture on the big screen. The movie was called Serenity, and it was good. Very good.

OK, I can't keep writing like that. Anyway, you should watch Firefly and then Serenity.

[y'know, I just realized that "the story should end there" was what Joss said in the intro to the preview showings... here's a transcript of the intro. It's funny.]

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty!"

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

16. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

no this is what going mad must feel like!-- simon Tam

"when you can't run you crawl, when you can't crawl anymore, you find someone to carry you"-Mal Reyolnds

"I can kill you with my brain"-- River Tam

I own both the series on DVD and the movie on DVD.... not addicted to either I swear! (please don't look at my desktop or even at my mood settings on my journal... I guarantee you won't find and fan fic either....)

I was disappointed a tid bit with the movie.... but I'll just watch the series again. Kill wash off will you?

btw nater, since you're obsessed... kaylee icon (please, steal it, use it whatever)

[​IMG]

I do however LOVE that ep where she finally does get to dress up out of the tomboy clothes after Mal ticks her off.

17. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Late to this thread but just thought I throw my hat in as a browncoat (sorry about those mixed metaphors...). I will never, ever forgive FOX for killing Firefly We didn't even get a complete season 1! I loved Serenity but it should not have been a movie. It should've been the rest of season 1 and season 2. That said, I'm looking forward to the new special edition DVD of the movie coming out in August!

18. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    moxie, believe it or not, I have actually stopped watching television after Firefly.

Honestly, Firefly was so good, it was exciting the way TV was when you were a kid, where you would drink in the whole thing, and the hour would race by, and the show was over. At least back then you could count on the network to MAKE MORE of the good shows.

I have never in my life seen a TV show (scratch that- story) as good before or since, and because it was mercilessly canceled and killed off like the GM EV1, I just don't see the point in watching TV anymore.

It's not a protest, it's just that whatever worthless drivel is on the screen nowadays, I can't help thinking, "God, I could be watching Firefly" and I get up and turn it off because whatever is on sucks by comparison.

Of course, I won't let them ruin all my happiness in the 'verse, because now I got my Rav4 Electric Vehicle, everything's shiny.

Nate

P.S. Can't stop the signal.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fox does this to a lot of their shows.

I loved Keen Eddie but they also kept moving it around, gave it lousy times, pre-empted it and then canceled it due to low ratings. Low ratings perhaps because no one could find it.

They were about to cancel 24 when it won an emmy. They quickly recinded that and now it's a megahit.

I'm so glad House was a hit out of the gate. When I first heard about it I was so afraid because it was on Fox, the doofus network. BTW it's the ONLY show I watch on FOX. I watch quite a bit of USA though. I wish Keen Eddie and Firefly had been on USA instead of FOX.

Another problem with FOX is they get proprietary about their shows. They own them but won't show them or renew them but they won't let anyone else have them either. Successfully kills a show the might have had a chance elsewhere.

Whedon is a genius. I think several of the Buffy episodes are usurpassed TV. Buffy: the Musical and the episode where there was NO dialogue come immediately to mind.

20. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

I heard about this series on Instapundit, and since I'm hopelessly addicted to "24," thought I'd enjoy this show, too. I bought the series and the movie but need to finish season 5 of "24" first.

Is "Firefly" something you can watch with kids who can handle PG-13?