1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any computer geeks?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by perryma, Mar 31, 2008.

1. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think we need an entire computer section on our chat site. Anyway, I am trying to do the impossible (with my knowledge). I am wondering if you can use your cell phone's broadband access service with your computer's broadband? I have a wireless laptop but I haven't bought the monthly broadband service yet. Is it possible to use my cell phone's boradband on my laptop?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, but it's not as fast as a "real" broadband, but certainly better than dial-up. The speed depends on the service in your area, and your wireless plan. There can also be steep fees involved, if you don't have an unlimited data plan. Make sure you know the details before you go online, or you may get a whopping bill.

To use your cell phone as a modem, you need the driver software for your phone, and a USB cable. You load the software, then plug the phone into a USB port. The software does an IP over USB connection to your provider, and everything works from there.

Tom

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be sure to read the details on the "broadband" internet service you are getting through your cell phone.
    Not only do you pay an access fee, but there could be a fee related to how much uploads/downloads you do. I think a page view constitutes a download!

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Which wireless plan has different speeds? There is a difference between EV-DO and EV-DO Rev A (average download speed for EV-DO of ~600 kbps vs. ~1 mbps for EV-DO Rev A), for example, but I am not aware of a carrier charging different rates for different speed of broadband service. Note that I am referring to 'true' broadband; EDGE (~56 kbps) does not qualify as broadband, IMO.

If you can't get an unlimited data plan, don't even consider signing up for the wireless broadband program. You can exceed the alloted use of some plans in just 30 minutes if you do any file downloading.

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's why I put the word "broadband" in quotes, as many providers to indeed call EDGE broadband, or they have G3 in limited areas, EDGE everywhere else, and call the whole mess broadband with a tiny footnote. I'm not aware of any plans with speed options; the speed varies by available technology, but my advice was general. These providers change their plans and billing methods by the minute, so you want to check the details or you can get a nasty surprise.

Tom

6. holy_crap

holy_crap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Where do I get this driver software? I have unlimited broadband for my mobile. If I can do this it would save me quite a bit. If it doesn't work, well I can just bite the bullet. You guys have had some great input!

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can usually download it from the Internet, or get it at your cell phone store. It is often free, but sometimes they charge for it. Call your service number and they can tell you.

Tom

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What phone do you have that you are trying to "tether" your laptop with? What service is the phone on? That will help us locate the software you need to use your phone on your laptop.

If you end up needing it, I actually just finished my need for my Sprint Mobile Broadband USB card. It's unlimited EVDO Rev A for $50/month ($10 cheaper than the standard price). I have about 18 months left on the contract, so I'm looking for someone to pick it up. I'll throw in the Novatel U727 for free.

10. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes it is, as I'm doing it right now!

You have several options depending on your cell phone. You can use a program like USBModem or PDANet. Those programs are probably the best and easiest to use.

If those don't work for you, I would go to a cell phone forum like this one, find your phone's forum and ask there for specific recommendations for your phone.

Keep in mind that the cell phone companies do not "approve" of using any of the above methods (including the registry hacks you'll read about on the cell phone forums) because it goes around the fees they charge to "tether" your phone to a laptop. If they catch you, they can charge you their fee!

And finally, you can just call your cell phone company and see if they offer a plan.

Good luck

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +1 This information is critical to being able to determine whether broadband connectivity for a notebook is even possible. Also, what laptop and O/S are you using? Some broadband phone drivers work only with Windows XP; others work with both XP and OSX. And, and, and. For example, Sprint's BlackBerry 8703 has EV-DO Broadband capability, but only on Windows XP (it may now be available on Vista), not OSX.

12. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    weeell, I returned my phone the t-mobile "Wing" . It has a lousy loudspeaker and I use that feature a lot . They are coming out with a new one this fall somewhat blackberry/i-phone/palm. I will be waiting on that one. My computer runs windows xp and is the hp tablet.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You will need to check the details on the new phone regarding whether it can support broadband computer tethering. XP is probably good news for your chances of being able to use the phone as a broadband modem, but only time will tell.

One other thing to consider with T-Mobile is coverage - if they have good coverage where you would be using the phone/broadband function, all is well. If coverage is spotty, you won't be having a good experience.

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems to me that this board consists MOSTLY of geeks rather thank gearheads--or we'd be driving vintage sportscars instead of Prii...:D

15. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here, I'll start it.
    Mac > PC :yo: haha

16. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Checking in. Not only do I have the overclocking bug, but I know about things like Lisp and FORTRAN. And if I think Lisp is the coolest language ever, I must be a geek.

17. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What? No Snobol or Forth?

Tom

18. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Real programmers don't use LISP. Only effeminate programmers use more parentheses than actual code.

19. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Meh. After the thousandth person goes "Oooh, neat, but why are you running that in DOS?" you become immune to worrying about whether or not your outdated language is still hip.

That's right. I just used the word "hip."