1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any experiences with the following insurance companies?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ystasino, May 18, 2007.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have these offers as 6 month premiums: Travelers $549; Safeco $576; Geico $655.40 and was wondering whether I should just go for the cheapest one. Currently with Geico.

So you have any experiences with Safeco or Travelers? I actually have a traveler's personal floater policy.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you looked into 21st Century?

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 18 2007, 01:32 AM) [snapback]444672[/snapback]</div>
    "They have not yet made it to my State"

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had Travelers for several years for both the car and home. Never had a claim for the car, but I had one on the homeowner's policy that they treated me well on. I had a laptop stolen from a hotel room in Paris. We were due to catch a plane back home the morning I discovered it missing, so I didn't have time to call (nor did I know what to expect from) the local police. I considered that that might result in Traveler's denying the claim, but I figured the cost of the computer was less than that of missing my flight. The laptop was just a few months old, and they covered it for the full amount including the extended warranty I purchased, less the deductible. I ended up with a small "loss experience" surcharge tacked onto the premium for the next renewal, but that's fair.

5. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have Geico, and they have always been great. I've had to make a few claims over a variety of things, and I really like them. If they are more expensive, you should call and tell them. They may give you a customer loyalty discount. That's something they used to do, depending on how long you've been with them. They are way cheaper for me than any other insurance company...weird that that's not the case for you.

6. kiwiruss

kiwiruss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 18 2007, 01:24 AM) [snapback]444670[/snapback]</div>

Used to have geico

Now have AllState

7. tacomel

tacomel New Member

We have Traveler's and had to make a glass claim for a stone pop in the windshield. They were good on the phone, conferencing in the local shop that was to do the repair, and they paid the local shop directly so there was really nothing for us to do.

My only complaint is that we were told our premium would charge every 6 months to our credit card, and about 6 months + 5 days after our policy started we got an "overdue" notice. Turns out that they don't support automatic credit card billing after all. They did waive the "late fee" though, so I suppose all's well that ends well.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oops, I forgot I did have an auto claim for Traveler's: a windshield replacement, completed without a hitch.

9. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've been with Travelers for about 2years. Three months into my new policy, my 20 year old son totaled 2 cars within 30 days. Claims were paid without question and they have not increased my premium. That was over a year ago.

10. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RBW111 @ May 18 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]444814[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, I bought Traveler's (so easy a caveman could do it!)

Maybe it would be good for this thread to continue though, the more we report on insurance companies the better it is for other consumers.

On my part, the only claim I had for 3 years with Geico is a minor $75 glass repair their glass department covered for free. So I have nothing for them or against them, their customer service seems decent and so do their ads!

11. PriusBoyAZ

PriusBoyAZ New Member

If you have access to Mercury Insurance in your area, try them out. My Prius coverage for 100/300 plus underinsured/uninsured motorist, $1,000 deductible and comprehensive and collission is under $420 every six months. I'm in Arizona.

12. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Geico's mode of operation is initial savings followed by slow increases in cost over the years until you're at a rolling boil. My insurance rates with them have never gone down as my vehicles got older. This thread reminded me that I need to shop around - I know I'm paying too much. :(

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RBW111 @ May 18 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]444814[/snapback]</div>
    You still claim him as your son?

14. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 18 2007, 01:24 AM) [snapback]444670[/snapback]</div>
    I had Geico until I got an offer from Amex. I kept them until this year in Jan. I now have The Hartford through AARP. The Prius costs $636.00 for a whole year with exc. coverages. If I had to change ins. again I would call Amex, Geico, and Progressive.

15. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Try giving USAA a call @ 1-800-531-8080.

Currently I have a 1997 Tacoma and our 2002 Prius insured with them, and full coverage in CT is running me $495 for a 6-month policy.

Now, the amazing part is that my insurance is that low after holding ~$800.00 in debt with their insurance company for 6 years! They never turned the debt over to a collection agency in that time span. When I repaid the debt I repaid USAA, not some collection agency. And my insurance policy was half of what I was paying with GEICO. Not everyone has those results; it's just that they don't advertise the way that GEICO does, and it's reflected in their policies.

Also, they underwrite policies for renters/home owner's insurance policies. Something else to consider is that USAA has the advantage of being a financial institution as well.

No, I'm not a salesman. I've just had a fantastic experience with them.

16. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ May 18 2007, 03:44 AM) [snapback]444749[/snapback]</div>
    Auto insurance companies have weird pricing, sometimes based on area (including "red lining") and sometimes based on what they have paid out in a particular state, and not just on the driving record of the individual.

17. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not eligible for Harford or USAA car insurance

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 19 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]445723[/snapback]</div>
    But how can their calculations of quotes be so different for the same person and location? I understand that some companies appeal to a more affluent market, but still when I called Geico she admitted that travelers was $98 cheaper for the same coverage. Progressive is way more expensive...

18. PriusBoyAZ

PriusBoyAZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 19 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]445732[/snapback]</div>
    Go to www.mercuryinsurance.com and see what you can qualify for. I'm saving over $200/year versus Progressive. I had Mercury for years in California, and have had nothing but good experience with them.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had Safeco for many years and haven't had any trouble with them. They were far cheaper than State Farm which I had switched away from.

20. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

FYI, auto insurers often, if not always, use your credit score as a part of your rate calculation.