1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any former Baptists out there?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Jun 17, 2006.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay, growing up in the South pretty much guaranteed being Southern Baptist. It's an interesting heritage -- lots of variations. For instance, I went to a country club, drink just don't talk about it sort of church which were pretty common in small towns in the 1970s. We also had women deacons. A dear friend grew up in a country church, and there was no dancing allowed. But there are some things we all share -- GAs and RAs, vacation bible school pledges to the flags and bible, revivals with interminable verses of Just As I Am. Reminds me of the time I realized that Just As I Am was going to go on forever if somebody didn't do SOMETHING. So in one of my earliest and feeblest efforts for the greater good, I walked down the aisle and rededicated my life, and BINGO -- the revival was over!

I have virtually nothing in common with Southern Baptists today, but that heritage is very much a part of who I am. I have many fond memories, lots of eye rolling moments when I think of some of the things I was taught, and mostly sadness about the hijacking of the Southern Baptist Convention by the religious right in the late 70s, early 80s. It is so different from the premises on which it was founded. And who can forget those catchy Fannie Crosby hymns?

Any other former Baptists out there?

Peace --