1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Gen 3 w/ 205/60/15's?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by LDB, Sep 11, 2015.

1. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone running this size on a Gen 3? If so, which tire? What are your results? Will you stick with this size when it's time for the next set? Yes, I searched and found a lot of threads but answering different questions than these.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMO, the only thing that tire will do is make your MPG a little lower. It may also affect the readout of the speedometer and odometer.

Study the information found here for a good explanation of tire sizes and how they work.

Tire Tech Information - Tire Size Guide

FWIW, I am not running the size you are asking about. Our Prius came with 17" tires and rims. IIRC, the correct size for your Gen III Prius should be 195/65R15

On a different note, what kind of MPG are getting with your short trips if you don't mind me asking?

3. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm getting well into the 40's and some in the 50's. Yesterday I had a 9.5 mile drive at less than 40mph and got 65.8mpg. These are all per the optimismeter of course so cutting 10% for optimism would be low 40's minimum, upper 40's low 50's mostly and about 60 once. Next week one day I should be doing about 85 miles round trip, almost all freeway, to have lunch with family. I'm looking forward to seeing what that does.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your mileage sounds about right to me. Once your Prius gets broken in, it should get even better mileage. A lot of it depends on how you drive it and also how you maintain it.

You will find that like other vehicles, the Prius will do worse during the winter and better during the warmer parts of the year. If you can drive when you don't have to use the A/C, your MPG will be even better. If you really want to get excellent MPG, practice what is known as Pulse and Glide when you can. Just don't hold the traffic up, otherwise someone might have a case of road rage at you.

I made a trip to the store tonight. Left with a cold ICE. Trip length was about 12 miles each way. Going to store averaged a little over 50, coming back average a little over 70. No A/C, ran with driver's window and passenger rear window down for cross ventilation.

This Prius I drive could do better if it had 15" rims on it, but alas it came with the flashy 17" rims. Don't forget when you do buy new tires, to look for LRR type tires. It does make a BIG difference.

5. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I'm looking at tires right now. Mine has the Ecopia EP20 which is an ok tire but not all that well rated on tirerack.com. I'm thinking the Continental TrueContact is the way to go. It's the highest rated tire, is LRR, and very reasonably priced. I think I've been gliding a fair amount already and that's why I'm getting upper 40's or better on my very short mostly cold engine drives.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three