1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any give on the MSRP pricing?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by asj2009, Oct 12, 2009.

1. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For new owners...I'm curious about how the price of new Prius are holding up at the lots. I had been looking for one recently and looks like there is very little give on the MSRP on all the dealers here in east coast, even though i noticed a slow build up of inventory on the lots. All the dealers I talked to would not budge on at least MSRP, and one had a $3000 addition to the MSRP. I finally bought a model IV, managed to get it $900 off MSRP.

2. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you got $900 off of the MSRP, then you are extremely lucky. The 2010 prius is just too popular for Dealers to mark it below MSRP.

3. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i was lucky i guess. we did it just before they were getting ready to close, so they probably wanted to get out of there, PLUS we were paying cash so it would be a quick sale (AND no trade in). it was a blizzard white IV with solar, looks simply beautiful and even larger than my old maxima due to the high roof and large back.

i was actually banking on the price getting lower as inventories rise after the cash for clunkers and was looking to wait, but i wanted that color and package and just went for it.

but then again, several factors might continue to depress production:

1. legal problems that stop importation
    2. rare mineral shortage - china is starting to hoard some materials necessary for the prius
    3. continued battery shortage.
    4. continued economic problems in US.

4. lawboy

lawboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had about 1k knocked off of MSRP in late August (took delivery after the clunkers program had ended, but negotiated the price at the height of demand), but I had to go about an hour and a half away from my hometown to a very rural area to get that deal. Most dealers in my immediate area wanted full MSRP, and one wanted a $500 non-refundable deposit that would not be applied to the sales price.

I think you did well.

5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got $768 off on mine, arriving at port before 10/18.

6. maomao

maomao New Member

Model:
    V
    Not a penny. I guess I got the only Sandy Beach V with ATP in the east coast last Saturday. I had to travel 280 miles from DC to NJ. That's probably why the dealer would not give in.

7. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am doing some cars at $500 or so off the MSRP right now. Even with the price increase looming. I think it really depends on the model, what's on it, and how plentiful it is. And, how close to allocation we are!
    PS: sunroof cars are terribly scarce right now.

8. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    there's certainly less of them, especially III with solar. IV with solar I've seen 3 so far here in northeast NJ, two of them in morristown, and one in woodbridge (although the woodbridge one might be gone by now)