1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any good Transmission shop in Seattle, WA?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hz2116, Jul 23, 2009.

1. hz2116

hz2116 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I have a problem with my 2006 Prius, the transmission failed and it is no longer covered in warranty. The dealer here quoted me around 6k to replace the transaxle. That's too expensive! I am looking for recommendations on a good transmission shop in the seattle, WA area that has experience with Toyota Prius.

Thanks,

-Kevin

2. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I sent you a PM.

3. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW. Sorry to hear about that. I can't believe it is six grand to fix the car. I don't think any conventional transmission shop will be able to repair your vehicle. There may be some hybrid specialty shops that you may want to call. You also may want to scour ebay and look for a used one that was in an accident. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Makes me glad I got the extended warranty. My luck I'll have issues at 100,001 miles!!!

4. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a few questions so we can learn from your experience...

Your 2006 is only 3-4 years old, which is kind of "young" for a transaxle failure. Was the car driven a lot? (100,000+ miles in the space of 4 years)? Did it ever had its WS transmission fluid changed? Was the car ever in an accident?

Thanks.

5. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hz2116,

Even though you would think that the CVT/PSD (transaxle) manages power from the hybrid system in such a way that you might think that it should fall under the classification of a hybrid component, it doesn't get covered by the 8yr/100,000 mile (or 10 yrs/150,000 miles in the Calif emmisions states) warranty.

However it is in the drive train classification for warranty puposes & is therefore covered for 60 months (5 yrs)/60,000 miles. Are you saying that you have more than 60,000 miles on your Prius (because timewise you're still good)? I shouldn't be surprised if your answer is yes because I myself hit 60,000 miles in exactly 3 years with mine.

You didn't opt for the extended warranty? Troy's for the $990 that I paid (cost just recently raised to $1055) sure would be a lot better than the $6,000 bill you're looking at. This is exactly the kind of example that shows that the extended warranty can be a good investment for your car (but ONLY if you can get it at a price equal to Troy's).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)