1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any harm powering down with ICE running?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ALoLA, Jun 2, 2004.

1. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had to move my Prius to another spot in the driveway, so after a quick position adjustment, I powered down. However, I powered down with the ICE running. Any harm in stopping the ICE so abruptly?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No harm at all...of course, it sure is nice having an EV button for just those kinds of situations...can't tell you how often I've used it to move the car across a parking lot, or out into the driveway to wash her or whatever.
    --evan

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Evan, did you get your EV switch from Costaltech, or is it a DIY? If you did get it from Costaltech (or if anyone else reading this got theirs) how hard was it to install? Problems? Comments?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was probably one of the first 5 people in the country to install my own EV button, I did the write-up in the Knowledge Base here from the pictures I took while doing it. How hard? Not that hard...read my write-up from start to finish, I go into a lot of detail about what is involved, what the risks are and exactly how to do it. I initially use a $1.29 momentary switch from Radio Shack until I was able to get the OEM EV button from Japan and I changed it out for that.

I think my writeup will answer most or all your questions.

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Evan, this line in your article:
    convinces me not to try it.

But Costaltech says that their buttonless version requires only a pliers and a screwdriver and takes about 20 minutes to install. Makes it sound very different from the DIY method.

BTW, you say in your article that their cruise-control-stalk method leaves you no way to disengage the cc except the brake or accelerator. I generally shut off the cc with the little button, rather than by pulling on the stalk. Is the button disabled with their method?

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm torn because I really want the EV switch. But I'm not a big risk-taker. You've given me plenty to ponder. Thanks Evan.