1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any interest in adj illuminated s/w buttons??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BT Tech, Jan 14, 2006.

1. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Since day one the very dim steering wheel buttons have bothered me so I am now in the process of making that a distant memory.

There are several ways to go about "fixing" this issue but I wanted to see if there was sufficient interest in coming up with a marketable product.

What I had in mind was to simply use the existing illumination control to vary the brightness of the switches on the S/W. The same way that it controls the dash lighting and the MFD.

Before I start to get into this I wanted to see how many of you would actually be interested in this kind of product.

The cost of this product would probably be under 100 dollars but this could change depending upon the quantity produced.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

2. kpauley

kpauley New Member

Seems there are several people discussing this issue in a more current thread, so maybe there is interest. I think it would be nice if it adjusted with the dimming wheel....not sure how much I'd pay though...

Dimm steering wheel thread

3. saechaka

saechaka Member

count me in for one as long as it's under $100.

4. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Brian,

I'd be interested as well. One thing I'd like to add, though, the turn signals and high-beam indicator lights are not regulated by the dimming switch - and I think they should be. The reflection of these lights, when in use, bug the heck out of me.

BTW, love the stiffening plate!

5. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

I'd love it too, but it would have to be reasonably simple to install and way under the $100 suggested above. Would you have to exceed the operating range of the lamps in the steering wheel?

6. sseres

sseres New Member

I'm here to second the request for "way under the $100." Maybe something in line with coastaltech's ev mod ($45)? Love the idea, though!

7. DocToss

DocToss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I am interested also, for the right price.

8. comtech5

comtech5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am interested...the overly dim buttons are a major flaw in my opinion. Would love to see an aftermarket solution!

9. habel

habel New Member

Same here - for the right price (way under 100...)

10. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would be interested as well as long as it's 1) an easy intsall and 2) less then a hundred

11. craigcush

craigcush Member

From radio electricians point of view, I would be concerned about exceed the operating range of the lamps as well. Plus the cost stated.

Those lamps were chosen for their output by design. to exceed that would dramatically reduce life of the bulbs if not fry them in a few hours to days depending on their rating and voltage applied. (or resistance removed)

I am all for it. But not if I have to pull it all apart later in the year to replace all the bulbs.
    Perhaps the parts catalog specifies voltage and I am wrong, hope so. Real problem finding the buttons for me.

Were you going to make a harness to reroute the source voltage through the dimmer?

Thanks for stepping up to resolve, I wish you the best.

12. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay everyone.. I will keep you all up to date on my progress on this new mod.

My intentions are to keep this looking stock and to have the curent illuminator adjust the brightness on the S/W buttons so we can actually see them at night.

I wish I could talk to the original designer or who was responsible for the current design and drag him out back!!! :angry:

I will try to keep the price as low as possible.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

13. coolfire74

coolfire74 New Member

I want one if under $100. Thanks!

14. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I definitely want that modification. Please do it and $100 is fine with me. But, if you really wanted to get the market captured, take over where Coastal Tech has apparently dropped the ball. Make a navigation/blue tooth modification to solve that problem. I have waited for 3/4 of a year and still nothing from Coastal Tech yet.
    Thanks, Michael (Cairo94507)

15. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

Put me on the list too Brian. And while you're at it, an Audio/Video interface controllable via the steering controls would be nice. Just Coastal's ViewTech2010...but one that's really on the market! :angry:

16. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Count me in!

17. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've Got a Spare 2006 Prius Steering Wheel For You

Brian,

I have a 2006 Prius steering wheel that I'll donate to the cause. It's complete with all standard and navigation buttons, so you can experiment all you want with out risking damage to your own Prius or buying any parts. I doubt you'll be able to talk to the original designer, but you'll at least be able to take one of his designs apart.

Add this to your research; it sure seems like the illumination on the 06 leather steering wheel buttons is brighter than on the standard 06 steering wheel I'm offering you. Maybe there's a Toyota modification you can use as a model.

Good luck and I hope your mod will adjust off the dashboard dimmer switch and not damage the light source.

18. cgraham

cgraham Member

Please keep me informed

I only got my Pri yesterday and have not evaluated this issue yet.

I agree no use overloading the existing bulbs.

C

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess you mostly want responses from the "I want it" group...but here's one from the "no thanks" group.

First of all after about 2 months with the car you can find, by feel, all the controls. They all have a distinctive location and tactile pattern on them making them accessible day or night without removing your eyes from the road.

When it is extremely dark finding the buttons by sight is no problem, for me, at all at the current brightness levels.

I guess, if it were really cheap and easy to install (<$25 and <15 minutes) I might get the mod just to maintain my reputation as the fearless guinea pig of Priuschat. And there are, I admit, times where it would be nice if they lights were a little brighter, but I too am concerened about the impact of using a dimmer and life of the bulbs.

20. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Vincent and this is very gracious of you!! I will let you know if this is needed but at present I am all set. I had to use my own as the "guinea pig" as I started this project some time ago.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115