1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Ireland or London folks?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by wick1ert, Feb 2, 2013.

1. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, my big trip this year, and one that may cause me to have to sell a bunch of my stuff to afford it, is to Ireland with a 24 hour stop in London. So, anyone in either of these areas? Recommendations on things to see/do while there? I figured if I'm spending all the $$$ to fly to Ireland, a little more to stop in London along the way is a good use of time/money.

If any London folks, anyone willing to show me around for that day? I'll buy drinks lol.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sent an IM.

Enjoy your stay.

3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a long time since I've been back to Britain.

But if I were to recommend that a foreigner do one thing in a 24-hour trip to London, I think it'd probably be the Tower of London. It does the whole history thing very well indeed, and is one of my favourite museums. And you get to see some very big diamonds.

And in the evening, go and get some proper Indian food of the sort that it's not easy to get in America. London is not as good as Grumpy Cabbie's county of Yorkshire for this, but it's still very good indeed. As I say, it's a while since I've been back, but Brick Lane used to be very good. I've heard it's a bit of a tourist trap now, but you should still get some very good food.

Oh, and get a one-day travel pass, so you can use the Tube and the Buses.

And find a proper pub and talk to some local people. Again, it's been a while, but I can direct you to some pubs that certainly used to be good.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll copy in my IM response to this thread as it might be of use to others heading to our capital city some time;

I'm miles away from London but thankfully I did visit there a couple times last year and had the brother in law (who lives there) show me the tourist hot spots.

24 hours isn't long but a couple of places you must visit when in London is the Tower Tower of London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . It's centrally located, tourist focused and very interesting - you get to see the crown jewels.

You're not a million miles away from St Pauls Cathedral at this point, so that might be worth a visit St Paul's Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and offers fantastic photographic options from the millenium bridge (the one from Harry Potter!) Millennium Bridge, London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Once over the bridge you have The Globe theatre Shakespeare's Globe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia on your left. At this point you might be running out of time but if not, a boat trip to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich (said grenitch) Royal Observatory, Greenwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is worth it for the fantastic views of the financial centre. It took my breath away! A contrast of the old and new buildings. Greenwich Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't imagine you'll get all those squeezed into one day but any one of those will give you a taste for a return trip.

Enjoy your stay.

PS Rumour has it that you have to tip a UK cabbie between 30% and 50%!

Only joking :)