1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

any issues with after market wheel covers

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by south central, Jun 17, 2012.

1. south central

south central Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd like to replace the wheel covers on my 15" wheels with something "sparkle-ier" :whistle:
    Hey fellas, don't judge, I'm the primary driver and the DH is on board with it. :D

After looking over local O'Reilly's and Autozone websites and picking out a couple that I like enough, I then examined my originals. I noticed something that worries me. Between the "spokes" on the Toyota wheel covers, perfectly placed, are the holes in the steel wheels. Hummm...
    [​IMG]

The question is... will wheel covers, that cover some of the holes in the steel wheels, cause the brakes to over heat? Gary says it's probably not an issue, and I trust him, but we are new to regen brakes. So I've come to you all, the more experienced Prius/hybrid/techie automobile owners.

I like these and the price is certainly right. Would they restrict too much of the air around the brakes?
    Custom Accessories 93002 - Wheel Cover | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Or would these be better for air flow to the brakes:

AutoSmart/4 pcs. 15 in. chrome 14 spokes and 5 lugs wheel cover
    (KT950-15C)

| Wheel Cover/Hub Cap | AutoZone.com

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Deb

2. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE

3. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    i have had no probs with my autozone specials. i do like them better than the factory although real wheels would be better, but im not willing to spend the dollars for them

4. south central

south central Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your response, fgp. I agree, while actual alloy wheels would look best, like you I'm not willing to shell out $400 ++ on new wheels. I understand that this is a cheap, fake out, alternative to try to dress up the car a little, but what's a poor girl to do? :barefoot:

My main concern is the brakes over heating with non factory wheel covers not letting enough air around them. Since this is our first time having regenerative brakes, I'm a little worried how they work and about screwing them up...Good to hear you have not had any problems with your Autozone replacements. From what I can tell it looks like yours are the cool Ice Black style, like these:

AutoSmart/15 in. ice black chrome wheel cover
    (KT970-15CIB)

| Wheel Cover/Hub Cap | AutoZone.com

Those would allow plenty of air around the brake area.
    Deb

5. franathan

franathan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly,.. I don't mind the originals? *shrug* ...I've had sports alloy mags/Rims with low profiles on all my vehicles .I've grown wiser & won't be wasting money this time round :cautious: . I "think" The Prius C oozes style as it is?.:cool: Anyhow for factory wheel covers ... they're "decent" - and also "not cheap". In Oz, Toyota's price to replace them is $120.00 each (ouch!) :notworthy: I think I'll stick with em.

6. franathan

franathan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    thought I'd add this photo to show how they gleam in the sun. I've polished mine - i keep em real clean. they almost look white? SL370265.JPG

NDcowPoke likes this.
  7. south central

south central Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Like you, franathan, I really don't mind the originals... I guess I was having a little "alloy wheel envy" at the moment. For under $40 I thought I could "jazz" up my c a little. By the way, nice work on your wheel cover's polish job. They look great.

I saw the replacements that I had picked out "in person" yesterday and they were horrible. I'll keep my eyes open for other options and, for now, be satisfied with the originals. They are already paid for, so the price is right (y)

Deb

franathan likes this.
  8. franathan

franathan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah i know what you mean Deb, - Hey it's totally up to you ;) ,,,Changing the covers also crossed my mind, but sometimes it can look cheap & nasty - or overdone? Actually, , the photo above was taken the 2nd day i brought the car home. They weren't polished then,,but I do polish them now every day. And trust me - they look "better" than what you see. If your Covers stand out with a "shine",,,they're gonna get noticed,,,& lift the car's look. It's doesn't matter what the pattern is!. Others want to be noticed with a different look. And that's ok too. It's all personal choice. I've also seen "bad" choices on cars. :giggle:. I recommend Maguires' non acid mag cleaner (ask at your nearest Auto shop). just spray & wipe off/buff with a soft terry towel. (easy as that). you'll see the difference immediately. I bet you'll change your mind. Your car will look even better, (without spending the money). :)

south central likes this.
  9. south central

south central Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I understand what you are saying about some replacements looking cheap, nasty or overdone... not the look I was going for. :LOL:

Thanks franathan for the tip, I'll see if I can find some Maguire's non acid mag cleaner and give those bad boys a shining.

Deb

franathan likes this.
  10. franathan

franathan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope you like the result :)

11. franathan

franathan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    (you can use a mag cleaning brush to scrub on the Maguires' product. It'll definitely emphasize the shine! Hose it off with water then buff it dry.)

12. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  13. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Don't worry about overheating. The regenerative braking does not take place at the wheels. In fact, your brakes will run cooler than normal cars because the brakes do less work.
    JD

14. franathan

franathan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry - you're absolutely right. thanks for that.

15. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I see a spot you missed.....:) just kidding :)

franathan likes this.