1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

any known electrical problems after installing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priussoris, Apr 19, 2007.

1. priussoris

priussoris New Member

coastal e tech ev mod.
    I do not have any problem but wife is concerned that if dealer would ever put test equipment on to diagnose a problem they would know it is on there? plus any current draw from their kit?

So I guess my wife wants to know can a dealer tell if the mod is there by simple test equipment?
    she's talking and I'm trying to type it..lol
    Thanks

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 19 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]426301[/snapback]</div>
    The EV mod (whether the mod from Coastal, or either of the DIY EV mods documented in the PC Knowledge Base) does just one thing: It replaces the button that Toyota put in the Japanese and European Priuses, but left out of the North American Prius.

Several PC members have boasted to their dealers of their EV buttons, and in every case the dealers were interested and curious. In no case did any of the dealers object.

Unless you do some damage in the process of installing it, you are perfectly safe.

Note that injudicious use of the button can very slightly reduce your mileage, because in most cases the car knows best when to go electric and when to go gas.

The Coastal implementation of the switch is not visible unless someone has to open up the dashboard and get at the plugs where the switch lives. And I highly doubt it would be detectable through diagnostic testing. It is my prefered implementation, since the c/c stalk is accessible to the middle finger of the right hand, without removing a hand from the steering wheel.

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 19 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]426343[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Daniel

4. _echo

_echo Junior Member

With the (!!!) MBytes of CPU and memory inside the prius, lots of it flash, you'd think it would remember stuff like EV mode requests. heck I know it remembers how many times you've tried to put it into drive before 'ready'..

Has anyone confirmed that the prius does NOT record EV mode requests?

5. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The only time the dealerships or Toyota will object is when this mod causes an early battery failure. Then you watch the noise begin and them shaking their heads no about covering it under the warranty.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Apr 25 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]430269[/snapback]</div>
    The EV button is standard on all Priuses sold in Japan and Europe. If it was going to cause battery failure, it would be happening in those places now. The reason it does not is that the car's computer prevents the EV mode from engaging if the SOC is too low, or the battery temp is outside the allowed specs, and when engaged, the computer kicks it off if the SOC goes too low or the temp rises too high (or any one of a number of parameter tests fails).