1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any mortgage folks in the house? I'm buying my first house!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Taking the big plunge since I'm tired of renting here in Columbia and figure I'll be here for at least 3 more years.

Check it out here: http://priuschat.com/townhouse
    1600 sq. ft, 3 BR, 2.5 BA

Does anyone have any suggestions for mortgages, insurance, etc? Surely there are some people who know people who know people who can help out a young professional? :mrgreen:

Here's what I have so far:

I have a few options for my mortgage. Purchase price is $114,000.

The builder's mortgage company, KB Home Mortgage, offered the following:

5 Year ARM - 5.25% - 5% down ($5,700)
    Principal & Interest - $598.04
    PMI - $50.54
    Taxes - $91.67
    Insurance - $37.50
    ---------------------------
    Total - $777.75

Wachovia is offering the following:

30 Year Fixed - 6.75% - $0 Down
    Principal & Interest - $739.40
    PMI - $0.00 (no PMI!)
    Taxes - $91.67 (assuming same #s)
    Insurance - $37.50
    ---------------------------
    Total - $868.57

Wachovia also has a 5.125% 5 Yr ARM with 5% down, no PMI.

Guy at Wachovia brought up a good point that it would take me over 4 years to spend my downpayment that I would have on the ARM on my monthly payment with the 30 Yr Fixed. I'm planning on either selling or refinancing within 3-5 years. That would give me more money up front to spend on things such as furniture (I have none), kitchen stuff, etc, and save the money I would have spent on the downpayment to put to those things.

The other issue is that the builder will give $3,500 toward closing costs if I use their lender (KB Mortgage) - I tried to make it a part of the contract that I could chose any lender, and if they couldn't match it, I get the $3,500, but they rejected that. When talking with the Wachovia guy, he says he's dealt with KB a lot and they normally are willing to give $3,500 toward closing costs/pre-paids if they can't match another lender's product. Well, KB doesn't offer any products without PMI.

So, should I go back to KB and stipulate in the contract that they give me the $3,500 if they don't offer the same product as another lender? Wouldn't this just be what I wanted originally but using different words (in other words, I don't think they'd go for it)? I don't want to lose the opportunity for this house because I have a limited window to move (lease ends at the end of July).

Or should I go with the 30 Yr fixed, no PMI from Wachovia and pay closing costs (probably around $3,500) and save my downpayment?

With the KB mortgage, I'd need about $6,300 at close, which would drain me of much of my nestegg. Wachovia I'd need about $2,500.

I'm still waiting to hear back from KB's 30 Year fixed rate, and from the local credit union I'm a member of.

Anyone else have any tips, suggestions, leads, or referrals that can help me get the best rate?

2. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No mortgage expert here, but having bought our first house and refinanced all within the past four years, here's what I can tell you.

If you can avoid it, don't pay PMI. You're basically throwing money away. This usually means putting 20% down, but it doesn't sound like you want to do that. There are some lenders who put together special deals for first time buyers, so they can put down less than 20% and still avoid paying PMI.

You might want to check out on-line lenders as well. We did our first mortgage through a traditional company (GMAC) but when we refinanced, we went through 80-10-10. We have friends who went through them as well, and none of us have had problems. We didn't pay any closing costs or points, and GMAC couldn't match the deal. Basically, they'll send a representative to take care of your closing in some rented office space, and soon after you close, they'll sell your mortgage to another company (ours was sold to Wells Fargo, which worked out well for us). I think all the paperwork stuff for getting approved is via fax and phone and possibly their local rep--my s.o. took care of figuring out the refinancing since he wasn't working at the time, so I don't recall exactly how it worked (except for having to sign our closing papers twice because they accidentally married us the first time--it's very easy to accidentally get married in Texas :D ). They also have special deals for first time buyers where you can put very little down.

Oh, and it's best to try to close at the end of the month so you don't have to pay interest for that month.

If anyone contradicts anything I said, you should probably believe them over me :mrgreen: .

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny,
    1)You're smart to do some research...keep doing it.
    2)Do you qualify for an FHA loan? Check into that as you can usually qualify quite easily.
    3)Do you watch the news? ;-) I would not suggest an ARM right now, in this climate, unless you expect to be able to handle large payments should interest rates jump up. ARMs are good when interest rates are quite high as it's less likely that they'll go up. When rates are low it's not as good of an idea b/c they can usually only get higher and you may, ultimately, be paying a higher interest rate than you would have with the 30-fixed.
    4)If you do go for the fixed (I would despite having an ARM on one of my current houses) put down as much down payment as you can manage. Remember, if you don't then you're going to be paying interest on something for months and months before you start on the principle.
    5)Keep looking, call some private mortgage brokers--some can be a pain to deal with and it sorta sucks having your mortgage sold immediately and from time to time, but they'll often get you the best rates. And over the life of a $100k loan a few 1/10ths of a percent adds up (wait until they show you how much you REALLY end up paying for you $114k house over the 30 years--it will turn your stomach).

PMI does suck, but I get the idea that a 20% down probably isn't going to happen. Don't sweat it. Once you've gotten enough equity you can ask to stop paying PMI--it'll take a couple years, but less if you have the $$ for a decent down payment.

I'm on my 3rd personal home and we have 2 rental properties...I hate it, but you gotta learn the game.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Are you a member of a Credit Union? If so, check them out. If not, join one. They are one of your least expensive sources of financing.

ARM vs Fixed, 10, 15, 30 Years. Each has benefits and costs. Weigh your options, generate a spread sheet and compare the true costs and the breakeven points for each. Your intended lengh of stay and appreciation of the property will also influence your decision.

Also, don't forget the income tax benefit of the interest and property taxes deductions. At the end of the year you'll reduce your taxes which can make next year's payments a little easier.

Good luck, you'll be thankful you're a homeowner instead of a renter.

5. dpurcell

dpurcell New Member

Mortgage info

[font=Arial:5e9ba84764]I wouldn't let expected interest rate increases discourage you from getting an ARM mortgage. You indicated that you expect to sell the townhouse in 3 to 5 years. So, if you get a 5-year ARM, you won't have any rate/payment increases to worry about.

I don't think there is any need for you to go to a mortgage broker. A mortgage broker can be very helpful if you have an unusual/difficult situation, such as bad credit or an unusual property. It sounds like you have a pretty normal situation (young, first-time home buyer, little cash, normal type of property). If your credit is good, a broker will just make your deal cost you more. The broker will get at least 1% of the purchase price. You don't need help from a broker. Stick with direct lenders. That is a bank or credit union or large mortgage banker. A broker has no money to lend. He/she just hooks you up with a lender for a fee. I'm a believer in credit unions, myself, if they have good mortgage services. Credit unions are owned by the members -- not by fat-cat investors. So, the credit union has your interests at heart.

As far as the down-payment issue is concerned, I think the money you have now would best be used to get you set up in your new house (furniture, window coverings, etc.) That will mean more to you in the long run than having a little more equity in the property when you go to sell because you made a down payment. You will probably make money on the house when you sell due to the increase in property values -- not because you paid down the loan. You'll pay down very little on the principal in 5 years, no matter what type of mortgage you get, unless you have extra money to add to your payments. If you can get a zero down 5-year ARM loan without PMI, and the closing costs are reasonable, that may be a good way to go in your situation.[/font:5e9ba84764]

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dpurcell makes sense, I totally missed the "sell or refinance in 3-5 years" line. In that light, I agree completely with his recommendations.

Only thing I'd add is to make sure your property is in an area and of a size/style that will appreciate and resell easily.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is actually one of the reasons I've taken so long to buy my first house, it was difficult to find something that I viewed as being a worthwhile investment while being in my price-range and area of town I wanted to live in.

Here's some good news!

I am able to qualify for a State loan -

Fixed 30 Yr 5.25%
    3% downpayment which is in the form of a loan with an interest rate of 3% - but if I hold the house for 5 years then that loan is repayed to me.

I'll keep everyone updated with the details.

Found out about this through my credit union.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmm i just sold my house...

how much has housing gone up in your area in the past 5 years?

if its been over 30% or so, then i would go for a fixed rate mortgage. you need to look at the possible resale value of the house. so you need to determine if the house at 114k is what it would sell for if the interest rates were higher or not. you see with interest rates so low, more buyers are driving up house prices and since they are still affordable, they still sell.

but if interest rates go up then you are looking at the housing market tanking and your house not being worth as much.

but if housing has only seen moderate increases in your area in the past few years, then the prices can be attributed to normal inflation and houses will remain at the very least the same price.

there was an article that kinda details the same thing. but dont let them scare you. if you want the place and its a good deal now, then go for it. and yea its another of those New York Times article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/24/business...housing.html?th