1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any new info on the next-gen (2009?) Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Eug, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I've been seeing bits and pieces, but the only thing I know for sure is that the next one won't use Li-ion batteries off the bat. Other rumours:

1) New transmission
    2) Plug-in
    3) Solar-panel option
    4) AWD option
    5) 1.8 L
    6) Higher gas mileage (even without plugging it in or using a solar panel)

Any evidence for the above? Any other info?

Now, whatever it turns out to be, I'm thinking I may just keep my current Prius until close to when the warranty runs out... in 2011.

2. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How about adding: The 2009's will be available on 'such and such' date to your list? I think that the consensus is spring 2009, but possibly there's some newer 'reliable' leaked info?

3. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe1347 @ Jul 21 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]483027[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, there's this article that suggests Spring 2009.

Actually, that would work out well for me. I'd get the 2nd iteration of the 3rd generation in 2010, leaving 1 year left on my extended warranty for my 2004 Prius. Extended warranties are transferable, right?

However, if it's Spring 2009 in Japan, one wonders if it's also Spring 2009 in North America. Probably/hopefully...

P.S. This article puts forward the rumour that the Prius will be more than one car model.

Sources say the company is planning to launch three new dual-power models, starting in 2009. Currently, Toyota engineers call these cars the Prius A, B and C. The A will be a Yaris-sized supermini and the B is planned to be a compact hatchback similar to the current Auris. Meanwhile, the C will be a family model in the same class as the Avensis.