1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any news on hybrid vans?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by AndyMartin826, Sep 12, 2007.

1. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have a 2001 Dodge Caravan that we really want to get rid of, but my wife only wants to replace it with a hybrid. We need space for three kids, 8, 6, and 4 so we still need to use boosters (still a high back for the youngest, and those take up a lot of space. We also need space for a habilitation worker who joins us sometimes to help with our oldest who's disabled. We love the Sienna, but she won't get one until it's a hybrid. I like the Highlander, but it seems to be getting a bit pricey with the latest iteration. Vans are usually easier to get the kids in and out of as well, so we're still biased to that style. Any news about the possibility of a Sienna being offers as a hybrid in the US?

Andy

2. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have a 2001 Dodge Caravan that we really want to get rid of, but my wife only wants to replace it with a hybrid. We need space for three kids, 8, 6, and 4 so we still need to use boosters (still a high back for the youngest, and those take up a lot of space. We also need space for a habilitation worker who joins us sometimes to help with our oldest who's disabled. We love the Sienna, but she won't get one until it's a hybrid. I like the Highlander, but it seems to be getting a bit pricey with the latest iteration. Vans are usually easier to get the kids in and out of as well, so we're still biased to that style. Any news about the possibility of a Sienna being offers as a hybrid in the US?

Andy

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's coming, but no idea when. I also don't know why Toyota's dragged their feet on that particular product. I think they've REALLY missed the boat by not getting a hybrid mini-van or one of those cross-over things to the soccer moms of the US. Once word spreads through that segment they'd sell like crazy..even at a 'hybrid premium'.
    We went the Highlander Hybrid route, but had other needs/uses for a 4WD SUV as well.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's coming, but no idea when. I also don't know why Toyota's dragged their feet on that particular product. I think they've REALLY missed the boat by not getting a hybrid mini-van or one of those cross-over things to the soccer moms of the US. Once word spreads through that segment they'd sell like crazy..even at a 'hybrid premium'.
    We went the Highlander Hybrid route, but had other needs/uses for a 4WD SUV as well.

5. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree, I think Toyota could sell a hybrid van very easily. My wife is so sold on the hybrid technology from my Prius that she won't even look at a new van until a hybrid version comes out. I do like the new Highlander Hybrid, and the interior is laid out well. With some running boards it might work with the kids, I like the captains chairs that help with the access to the third row bench.

6. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree, I think Toyota could sell a hybrid van very easily. My wife is so sold on the hybrid technology from my Prius that she won't even look at a new van until a hybrid version comes out. I do like the new Highlander Hybrid, and the interior is laid out well. With some running boards it might work with the kids, I like the captains chairs that help with the access to the third row bench.

7. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It may not be your cup of tea but Honda is planning a diesel Odyssey for around 2009-2010.

8. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It may not be your cup of tea but Honda is planning a diesel Odyssey for around 2009-2010.

9. chogan

chogan New Member

Completely agree with efusco above. We opted for a Mazda 5, which is more a micro van than a mini van. Same sliding-side-door setup as a minivan, seats 4 adults 2 kids, but the vehicle is small. EPA rates for mediocre 22 mpg but we've gotten a more reasonable 29 mpg in 10 months of ownership (manual transmission).

Toyota actually sells a hybrid minivan in Japan, but for some reason will not sell it here. Estimated to get about 35 mpg in the US EPA cycle. So in terms of efficiency, that's the upside you might see if you wait for a hybrid minivan. See here:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/04/to..._minivan_us.php

10. chogan

chogan New Member

Completely agree with efusco above. We opted for a Mazda 5, which is more a micro van than a mini van. Same sliding-side-door setup as a minivan, seats 4 adults 2 kids, but the vehicle is small. EPA rates for mediocre 22 mpg but we've gotten a more reasonable 29 mpg in 10 months of ownership (manual transmission).

Toyota actually sells a hybrid minivan in Japan, but for some reason will not sell it here. Estimated to get about 35 mpg in the US EPA cycle. So in terms of efficiency, that's the upside you might see if you wait for a hybrid minivan. See here:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/04/to..._minivan_us.php

11. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen that Estima before, and that is exactly what we are looking for. Why Toyota is dragging out bringing that into the US market is beyond me, they would sell a ton of them I'm sure. Anyone know if it's even possible to import one of those over here, and what the premium would be for the first-on-the-block status? :)

12. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen that Estima before, and that is exactly what we are looking for. Why Toyota is dragging out bringing that into the US market is beyond me, they would sell a ton of them I'm sure. Anyone know if it's even possible to import one of those over here, and what the premium would be for the first-on-the-block status? :)

13. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Sep 13 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]511921[/snapback]</div>
    I found a couple of websites for importing the Estima from Japan to the UK, but none for the US.

I have a Sienna now, and I like it, but I'd trade it in immediately on an Estima.

14. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Sep 13 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]511921[/snapback]</div>
    I found a couple of websites for importing the Estima from Japan to the UK, but none for the US.

I have a Sienna now, and I like it, but I'd trade it in immediately on an Estima.

15. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's interesting, I just tried to search and found the same thing. Sounds easy to get if you're in the UK, but can't find much information about importing one to the US, or if it would even be street legal here (sounds like there are different specs for Japan-based and US-based vehicles). On the other hand, I did find this info at hybridcenter:

Toyota Sienna Hybrid (7 seat minivan)

* Est. release date: 2009 (if at all)
    * What we know: Toyota Sienna Hybrid is likely to be the first hybrid minivan on the market, though its introduction has been continually rumored and postponed. The Sienna Hybrid's drivetrain will likely be based on the smaller Estima minivan currently sold only in Japan. Toyota is unlikely to make the estimated 35mpg Estima available in the U.S. for fear of brand competition with its larger Sienna. There is significant support within Toyota's U.S. division for bringing a Sienna Hybrid to market, and over 18,000 consumers signed a UCS petition to Toyota asking that a hybrid minivan be brought to America (that's over twice the 8,400 projected Estima Hybrid sales expected in Japan).

Sounds like there's a lot of interest in it, but I don't understand the line of "brand competition with its larger Sienna". I would think this would improve on the brand, and the overall goal is to get more hybrids on the road, right? I mean, do they worry about "brand competition" between the Highlander and it's hybrid version? Anyway, sounds like it's going to be at least another year then, most likely longer.

16. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's interesting, I just tried to search and found the same thing. Sounds easy to get if you're in the UK, but can't find much information about importing one to the US, or if it would even be street legal here (sounds like there are different specs for Japan-based and US-based vehicles). On the other hand, I did find this info at hybridcenter:

Toyota Sienna Hybrid (7 seat minivan)

* Est. release date: 2009 (if at all)
    * What we know: Toyota Sienna Hybrid is likely to be the first hybrid minivan on the market, though its introduction has been continually rumored and postponed. The Sienna Hybrid's drivetrain will likely be based on the smaller Estima minivan currently sold only in Japan. Toyota is unlikely to make the estimated 35mpg Estima available in the U.S. for fear of brand competition with its larger Sienna. There is significant support within Toyota's U.S. division for bringing a Sienna Hybrid to market, and over 18,000 consumers signed a UCS petition to Toyota asking that a hybrid minivan be brought to America (that's over twice the 8,400 projected Estima Hybrid sales expected in Japan).

Sounds like there's a lot of interest in it, but I don't understand the line of "brand competition with its larger Sienna". I would think this would improve on the brand, and the overall goal is to get more hybrids on the road, right? I mean, do they worry about "brand competition" between the Highlander and it's hybrid version? Anyway, sounds like it's going to be at least another year then, most likely longer.

17. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Sep 13 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]511921[/snapback]</div>

Do they even make the Estima Hybrid in a LHD (left-hand drive) version? Or is it only sold in countries where they drive on the left? I don't know what the current regulations are on bringing in a gray market vehicle. At one time you had to post a $250k bond when the car was brought in, as a promise that you were going to make it DOT and EPA compliant. I think this is what happened with Bill Gates and his Porsche 959 (ok, a little Googling reveals that isn't quite accurate). I believe it is easier today, but the conversion would still cost in the tens of thousands of dollars. Here is some current information I found via Google. You still have to post a bond, but it's based on the value of the vehicle:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&a...;dmvPNavCtr=%7C

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbo...portingacar.doc

18. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Sep 13 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]511921[/snapback]</div>

Do they even make the Estima Hybrid in a LHD (left-hand drive) version? Or is it only sold in countries where they drive on the left? I don't know what the current regulations are on bringing in a gray market vehicle. At one time you had to post a $250k bond when the car was brought in, as a promise that you were going to make it DOT and EPA compliant. I think this is what happened with Bill Gates and his Porsche 959 (ok, a little Googling reveals that isn't quite accurate). I believe it is easier today, but the conversion would still cost in the tens of thousands of dollars. Here is some current information I found via Google. You still have to post a bond, but it's based on the value of the vehicle:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&a...;dmvPNavCtr=%7C

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbo...portingacar.doc

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a perfect example of how auto manufacturers do NOT sell "what
    the market wants". They *create* the supposed market by carefully
    limiting or pushing exactly what *THEY* want to sell. The "desire"
    for any class of vehicles gets rammed down the public's throat
    through TV and billboards, and there's the supposed "market".
    But the Estima is so bleedin' obvious I cannot fathom why, after at
    least two years of seeing the same flavor of forum posts about it,
    Toyota hasn't bent over backwards to rework the Estima to US specs
    and get 'em over here pronto. I wonder if we'll ever find out. But
    don't buy ANY counterargument like "people here wouldn't buy them".
    _H*

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a perfect example of how auto manufacturers do NOT sell "what
    the market wants". They *create* the supposed market by carefully
    limiting or pushing exactly what *THEY* want to sell. The "desire"
    for any class of vehicles gets rammed down the public's throat
    through TV and billboards, and there's the supposed "market".
    But the Estima is so bleedin' obvious I cannot fathom why, after at
    least two years of seeing the same flavor of forum posts about it,
    Toyota hasn't bent over backwards to rework the Estima to US specs
    and get 'em over here pronto. I wonder if we'll ever find out. But
    don't buy ANY counterargument like "people here wouldn't buy them".
    _H*