1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any OBDWiz users? Which ECU to talk to?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nh7o, Dec 13, 2011.

1. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I connected my OBDLink SX today, and saw that there are three ECU addresses that OBDWiz can talk to. Can anyone tell me what these three addresses are pointing to? I selected the first (lowest) address and things were working (RPM, temp, etc.) but didn't try the others.

thanks...

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I used the OBDWiz software briefly when I first got my OBDLink. Soon after that I switched over to my own program PriiDash(TM). All I can say is experiment with the various options and see what comes out. It won't hurt anything. Good luck!

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I'll see what happens. I will try your software after I get this program well understood.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The answer is that address 07E8 is the main ECU which the program connects to by default. None of the other addresses have any info to monitor.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My 20/20 hindsight: As a generic software OBDWiz would not get Prius specific data from other ECUs.

6. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nevermind: just found the sticky on canview updates, that might answer my questions, I'll read through it.

Hi guys (and girls),

I just had the Prius for 14 days :D and hooked up my OBD reader yesterday (well, got it to work yesterday, new 64 bit laptop doesn't seem to like my old programs, so had to pull the old company lappie out of the mothballs).

I too got the question if I wanted to connect to ECU 1 or ECU 4 (only 2 choices). Unfortunately, while saving the screenshot the computer crashed, so cannot say what addresses they referred to.

Is there any (Toyota specific?) free-to-use software, preferably 64bit compatible, that works well? Or WM6.5 compatible? (Trying to get my phone to work with the ELM327 based OBD reader).

Sorry for being a noob, have read a lot on here already, but there's too much info to cover in two weeks...:p

7. BigFatGuy

BigFatGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to add another voice in here. I got the ElmScan 5 Compact for Christmas. It seems pretty neat, but I only drove around the block with it on, so I don't have much to go on yet.
    As for the ECU connection, I had 3 choices and was stumped too, until I looked at which one had the most files(?) on the right. One (the correct one) has more than double the others. I guessed that one, and it worked great. Interesting program. :)